Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

Nathan Sokalski

I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates an
onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode / event.which
properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any advice on:

1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed. I have,
however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which and some
versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists which one
all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible use?

2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine which
browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done using the
Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the first time I have
needed to worry about the browser all the way down to the specific version,
I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.

Thank you to everyone in advance.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Nathan,

This is the only link I still have what maybe covers what I think you are
asking.

http://www.webmonkey.com//reference/browser_chart/

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates an
> onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode /
> event.which
> properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any advice on:
>
> 1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed. I have,
> however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which and
> some
> versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists which
> one
> all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible use?
>
> 2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine which
> browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done using the
> Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the first time I have
> needed to worry about the browser all the way down to the specific
> version,
> I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.
>
> Thank you to everyone in advance.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Nathan Sokalski

It's a nice chart, but unfortunately it does not have the information I am
looking for. I am trying to determine what browsers use event.keyCode and
what browsers use event.which (these both refer to the ascii code of the key
pressed to trigger JavaScript events such as onKeyPress).
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan,
>
> This is the only link I still have what maybe covers what I think you are
> asking.
>
> http://www.webmonkey.com//reference/browser_chart/
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Cor
>
> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates an
>> onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode /
>> event.which
>> properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any advice on:
>>
>> 1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed. I have,
>> however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which and
>> some
>> versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists which
>> one
>> all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible use?
>>
>> 2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine which
>> browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done using the
>> Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the first time I have
>> needed to worry about the browser all the way down to the specific
>> version,
>> I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.
>>
>> Thank you to everyone in advance.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Michael Harris \(MVP\)

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> It's a nice chart, but unfortunately it does not have the information
> I am looking for. I am trying to determine what browsers use
> event.keyCode and what browsers use event.which (these both refer to
> the ascii code of the key pressed to trigger JavaScript events such
> as onKeyPress).

Probably only IE uses event.keyCode...

keyCode Property (event) (Internet Explorer - DHTML)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...es/keycode.asp

"...
Standards Information

There is no public standard that applies to this property
...."

> "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nathan,
>>
>> This is the only link I still have what maybe covers what I think
>> you are asking.
>>
>> http://www.webmonkey.com//reference/browser_chart/
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> Cor
>>
>> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates
>>> an onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode /
>>> event.which
>>> properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any
>>> advice on: 1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed.
>>> I have,
>>> however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which
>>> and some
>>> versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists
>>> which one
>>> all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible
>>> use? 2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine
>>> which browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done
>>> using the Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the
>>> first time I have needed to worry about the browser all the way
>>> down to the specific version,
>>> I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.
>>>
>>> Thank you to everyone in advance.
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

Scripting: Your First Steps
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...irststeps.mspx

Nathan Sokalski

Well, that's good to know, it should somewhat simplify what I need to test
for. When experimenting with ASP.NET's Page.Request.Browser object, which is
what I plan to use to determine whether to sent JavaScript that uses
event.which or event.keyCode, I generated the following page:

ActiveXControlstrue
AOLfalse
BackgroundSoundstrue
Betafalse
BrowserIE
CDFfalse
ClrVersion
Cookiestrue
Crawlerfalse
EcmaScriptVersion1.2
Framestrue
JavaAppletstrue
JavaScripttrue
MajorVersion6
MinorVersion.0
MSDomVersion6.0
PlatformWinXP
Tablestrue
TypeIE6
VBScripttrue
Version6.0
W3CDomVersion1.0
Win16false
Win32true
GetClrVersions()1.1.4322, 2.0.50727

I am assuming that I would use either the Browser or Type properties to
determine the user's browser. What are the different values that would be
returned by the different browsers (so I know what different values to test
for, particularly the less well known browsers) in the Browser and Type
properties? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)