Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > How do I use the URL picker?

How do I use the URL picker?

I'm creating a custom web control and a few of the properties should be
image URLs. How do you get the system to present the URL picker as an
option when the user is setting the control's properties? (Like the
standard controls do for image URLs...) Thanks.

Jerry

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

As for how to let our custom webcontrol's string property use the "URL
picker" at design-time(in VS.NET ide), based on my research, we can use the
"EditorAttribute" to apply some certain control editor to our custom
control's string property. There exists some buildin control property
editors in .net framework class library, for example:

UrlEditor, ImageUrlEditor....

Here is simple test control which configure its "Text" propety to use the
"ImageUrlEditor" at design-time in VS.NET ide:

=====================================
[DefaultProperty("Text")]
[ToolboxData("<{0}:TestControl runat=server></{0}:TestControl>")]
public class TestControl : WebControl
{
[Bindable(true)]
[Category("Appearance")]
[DefaultValue("")]
[Localizable(true)]
[ Editor("System.Web.UI.Design.ImageUrlEditor, System.Design,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a",
typeof(UITypeEditor))]
public string Text
{
get
{
String s = (String)ViewState["Text"];
return ((s == null) ? String.Empty : s);
}

set
{
ViewState["Text"] = value;