Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > control project's references

control project's references

TS

My project that creates the assembly for my custom control references
assemblies for crystal reports, etc. These get copied with copyLocal false
(I"m guessing because they exist in the GAC). The hint path in the proj file
points to the location i referenced from.

I have had issues with other developers who use the control having problems
with the references becuase the hint path doesn't point to the correct
location on their computer

My questions are

1. when creating a standalone control, how should i make references to
external assemblies that it uses? Do i need to set them to copyLocal true?

2. When the assembly's dll is built, the references that it uses gets
compiled into that dll, correct???

thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

For the .net application's assembly references, here are some of my
understanding:

1. The VS IDE's project assembly reference path is totally separated from
the runtime searching path of the .net framework CLR, project's reference
path(hint path or...) is used by IDE to find assembly when doing
compialtion. At runtime, CLR follows a certain runtime assembly locating
rule as below:

#How the Runtime Locates Assemblies
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconhowruntimelocatesassemblies.asp

2. For copylocal, it is set to false if the referenced assembly is
strong-named ( for non-strongnamed assembly, it always copy the assembly to
local with main assembly...), but this dosn't mean that the strong-named
assembly is automatically installed in GAC, we need to install it manually

Also, referenced assemblies are not compiled into the caller assembly(only
some reference info will be embeded in metadata of main assembly), they're
separated ones. So at runtime to run our application, we need to make sure
both the main assembly of our appliation and its referenced assemblies (or
their further referenced assemblies...) exists in the correct path(clr used
to locate them....).

BTW, if you have interests, the "Applied .NET framework programming" and
"Essential .NET" books have detailed descriptio non assembly identification
and locating....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: control project's references
| Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:31:22 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
|
| My project that creates the assembly for my custom control references
| assemblies for crystal reports, etc. These get copied with copyLocal
false
| (I"m guessing because they exist in the GAC). The hint path in the proj
file
| points to the location i referenced from.
|
| I have had issues with other developers who use the control having
problems
| with the references becuase the hint path doesn't point to the correct
| location on their computer
|
| My questions are
|
| 1. when creating a standalone control, how should i make references to
| external assemblies that it uses? Do i need to set them to copyLocal true?
|
| 2. When the assembly's dll is built, the references that it uses gets
| compiled into that dll, correct???
|
| thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

Does my last reply helps you a little? If there're anything else we can
help, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

> [...]

| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| | Subject: control project's references
| | Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:31:22 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
| |
| | My project that creates the assembly for my custom control references
| | assemblies for crystal reports, etc. These get copied with copyLocal
| false
| | (I"m guessing because they exist in the GAC). The hint path in the proj
| file
| | points to the location i referenced from.
| |
| | I have had issues with other developers who use the control having
| problems
| | with the references becuase the hint path doesn't point to the correct
| |
| | My questions are
| |
| | 1. when creating a standalone control, how should i make references to
| | external assemblies that it uses? Do i need to set them to copyLocal
true?
| |
| | 2. When the assembly's dll is built, the references that it uses gets
| | compiled into that dll, correct???
| |
| | thanks
| |
| |
| |

TS

it all looks good...thanks steven
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> | false
> | | (I"m guessing because they exist in the GAC). The hint path in the
> proj
> | file
> | | points to the location i referenced from.
> | |
> | | I have had issues with other developers who use the control having
> | problems
> | | with the references becuase the hint path doesn't point to the correct
> | | location on their computer
> | |
> | | My questions are
> | |
> | | 1. when creating a standalone control, how should i make references to
> | | external assemblies that it uses? Do i need to set them to copyLocal
> true?
> | |
> | | 2. When the assembly's dll is built, the references that it uses gets

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup TS,

Glad that it helps. Have a good day!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: control project's references
| Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:45:51 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
|
| it all looks good...thanks steven
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Hi TS,
| >
| > Does my last reply helps you a little? If there're anything else we can
| > help, please feel free to post here.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:52:35 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: control project's references
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
| > |
| > | Hi TS,
| > |
| > | For the .net application's assembly references, here are some of my
| > | understanding:
| > |
| > | 1. The VS IDE's project assembly reference path is totally separated
| > from
| > | the runtime searching path of the .net framework CLR, project's
| > reference
| > | path(hint path or...) is used by IDE to find assembly when doing
| > | compialtion. At runtime, CLR follows a certain runtime assembly
locating
| > | rule as below:
| > |
| > | #How the Runtime Locates Assemblies
| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
| > | l/cpconhowruntimelocatesassemblies.asp
| > |
| > | 2. For copylocal, it is set to false if the referenced assembly is
| > | strong-named ( for non-strongnamed assembly, it always copy the
assembly
| > | local with main assembly...), but this dosn't mean that the
strong-named
| > | assembly is automatically installed in GAC, we need to install it
| > manually
| > |
| > | Also, referenced assemblies are not compiled into the caller
| > assembly(only
| > | some reference info will be embeded in metadata of main assembly),
| > they're
| > | separated ones. So at runtime to run our application, we need to make
| > sure
| > | both the main assembly of our appliation and its referenced assemblies
| > (or
| > | their further referenced assemblies...) exists in the correct path(clr
| > used
| > | to locate them....).
| > |
| > | BTW, if you have interests, the "Applied .NET framework programming"
and
| > | "Essential .NET" books have detailed descriptio non assembly
| > identification
| > | and locating....
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
| > | |
| > | false
| > proj
| > | file