Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > custom control works, but wont display in design time

custom control works, but wont display in design time

B. Rubble

Hello all,

I recently created a custom control in c#. The control inherits from
the datagrid. I included a reference to the dll in a web project, and
put a copy of the dll in the bin folder of the web directory. I then
added it to the toolbox by browsing to the dll on the add/remove items
dialog. I then dragged the control icon onto my webform. A little
gray box with error is displayed that says there is a parser error.
However, if I manually register the control in the html, and then use
the basic syntax of a datagrid and insert it on the page, changing the
main tag to match the registration for the control, a datagrid is
displayed on the design side...and the control works.

My question is, how can I get my custom control to drag and drop onto
the design and show a datagrid without having to manipulate the html
before?

Thanks for any help! Ive been working on this for hours. Frustrating
how the control works, but wont show up in design time.

xX B. Rubble Xx

lisa@starways.net

Barney,

Have you made a custom designer?

Lisa

B. Rubble wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently created a custom control in c#. The control inherits from
> the datagrid. I included a reference to the dll in a web project,

and
> put a copy of the dll in the bin folder of the web directory. I then
> added it to the toolbox by browsing to the dll on the add/remove

items
> dialog. I then dragged the control icon onto my webform. A little
> gray box with error is displayed that says there is a parser error.
> However, if I manually register the control in the html, and then use
> the basic syntax of a datagrid and insert it on the page, changing

the
> main tag to match the registration for the control, a datagrid is
> displayed on the design side...and the control works.
>
> My question is, how can I get my custom control to drag and drop onto
> the design and show a datagrid without having to manipulate the html
> before?
>
> Thanks for any help! Ive been working on this for hours.

Frustrating
> how the control works, but wont show up in design time.
>
> xX B. Rubble Xx

B. Rubble

Custom Designer?? I dont believe I have. Absence of this would cause
my control to show a parser error in design time? How do I go about
creating a custom designer? I thought the fact that it was inherited
from the datagrid class would be enough.

Thanks!
xX B. Rubble Xx

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You should probably create a designer, as demonstrated near the bottom of
this article:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/BarGraphs.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"B. Rubble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I recently created a custom control in c#. The control inherits from
> the datagrid. I included a reference to the dll in a web project, and
> put a copy of the dll in the bin folder of the web directory. I then
> added it to the toolbox by browsing to the dll on the add/remove items
> dialog. I then dragged the control icon onto my webform. A little
> gray box with error is displayed that says there is a parser error.
> However, if I manually register the control in the html, and then use
> the basic syntax of a datagrid and insert it on the page, changing the
> main tag to match the registration for the control, a datagrid is
> displayed on the design side...and the control works.
>
> My question is, how can I get my custom control to drag and drop onto
> the design and show a datagrid without having to manipulate the html
> before?
>
> Thanks for any help! Ive been working on this for hours. Frustrating
> how the control works, but wont show up in design time.
>
> xX B. Rubble Xx

B. Rubble

Thanks! I will check it out.

xX B. Rubble Xx