Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web???

Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web???

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum

Hi,

Is there any mechanism in .NET Framework which can help me to replace
activex controls on my web page??

As activex controls need to be downloaded on the client machine, and
my clients are not interested in downloading any such binaries to
their machines for a bunch of reasons, including the consumption of
bandwidth as a strong one.

Like, by the virtue of .NET framework, can I acheive the functionality
of a "Tree Control" on my web page, without using/downloading the
ActiveX Tree Control??

Looking forward ...

Regards,
Muhammad Shuaib

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Muhammad,

There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it is
available on www.asp.net.)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support

--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
>Subject: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on

web???
>Date: 11 Aug 2004 22:29:45 -0700

05:29:45 GMT)
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.
com!not-for-mail

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065

>Hi,
>
>Is there any mechanism in .NET Framework which can help me to replace
>activex controls on my web page??
>
>As activex controls need to be downloaded on the client machine, and
>my clients are not interested in downloading any such binaries to
>their machines for a bunch of reasons, including the consumption of
>bandwidth as a strong one.
>
>Like, by the virtue of .NET framework, can I acheive the functionality
>of a "Tree Control" on my web page, without using/downloading the
>ActiveX Tree Control??
>
>Looking forward ...
>
>Regards,
>Muhammad Shuaib

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum

Hi Jim,

Thanks for writing, but I qouted tree control just as example, infact
I wanted to know that on the helm of .NET framework, which would be
obviously installed on client machine as well, can I enjoy the
flexibillity that AxtiveX controls provide while programming, without
using them?

Is Microsoft looking to extend the IE Web Controls package, so that
developers may have some more controls to play with, on client side,
without bothering the bandwidth consupmtion caused by downloading
activex controls? Or if there exists some abstraction for Web Controls
( like Tree Control, or Toolbar control )that a developer can inherit
to develop some custom controls, like developing a Web Control (and
not an ActiveX one) to play a ticker for news which are being updated
on the timeout of a minute from a data source on my web-server???
(again this is just an example and not my requirement

Looking forward ...

Regards
Muhammad Shuaib

(E-Mail Removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Muhammad,
>
> There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
> have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it is
> available on www.asp.net.)
>
> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
> Microsoft Developer Support
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
>
> --------------------
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
> >Subject: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on

> web???
> >Date: 11 Aug 2004 22:29:45 -0700

> 05:29:45 GMT)
> cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
> ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.
> com!not-for-mail

> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Is there any mechanism in .NET Framework which can help me to replace
> >activex controls on my web page??
> >
> >As activex controls need to be downloaded on the client machine, and
> >my clients are not interested in downloading any such binaries to
> >their machines for a bunch of reasons, including the consumption of
> >bandwidth as a strong one.
> >
> >Like, by the virtue of .NET framework, can I acheive the functionality
> >of a "Tree Control" on my web page, without using/downloading the
> >ActiveX Tree Control??
> >
> >Looking forward ...
> >
> >Regards,
> >Muhammad Shuaib

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Muhammad,

You need to be more specific in order for me to give you more specifics,
but I will say that you can use Windows Forms controls hosted in Internet
Explorer if you wish. The stipulation is that the .NET Framework exists on
the client, and there is some minor configuration required for the runtime
security policy in order to make it work correctly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;305624

Keep in mind that this is outside of my area of expertise. I'm not a
client-side guy.

Are we looking to extend the Web controls package? Kind of and kind of
not. We are not going to extend what you currently have, but we have added
a whole slew of very cool controls to Visual Studio .NET 2005, some of
which are the same control types that you have available to you in the
current Web controls.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(E-Mail Removed)

--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
>Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

on web???
>Date: 12 Aug 2004 22:14:20 -0700

<(E-Mail Removed)>

05:14:48 GMT)
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi
x.com!news-out!newsfeed.cwix.com!easynet-monga!easynet.net!news.glorb.com!po
stnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11074

>Hi Jim,
>
>Thanks for writing, but I qouted tree control just as example, infact
>I wanted to know that on the helm of .NET framework, which would be
>obviously installed on client machine as well, can I enjoy the
>flexibillity that AxtiveX controls provide while programming, without
>using them?
>
>Is Microsoft looking to extend the IE Web Controls package, so that
>developers may have some more controls to play with, on client side,
>without bothering the bandwidth consupmtion caused by downloading
>activex controls? Or if there exists some abstraction for Web Controls
>( like Tree Control, or Toolbar control )that a developer can inherit
>to develop some custom controls, like developing a Web Control (and
>not an ActiveX one) to play a ticker for news which are being updated
>on the timeout of a minute from a data source on my web-server???
>(again this is just an example and not my requirement
>
>Looking forward ...
>
>Regards
>Muhammad Shuaib
>

>(E-Mail Removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Hi Muhammad,
>>
>> There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
>> have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it

is
>> available on www.asp.net.)
>>
>> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
>> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
>> Microsoft Developer Support
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
>>
>> --------------------
>> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
>> >Subject: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on

>> web???
>> >Date: 11 Aug 2004 22:29:45 -0700

>> 05:29:45 GMT)

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.
>> com!not-for-mail

>> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Is there any mechanism in .NET Framework which can help me to replace
>> >activex controls on my web page??
>> >
>> >As activex controls need to be downloaded on the client machine, and
>> >my clients are not interested in downloading any such binaries to
>> >their machines for a bunch of reasons, including the consumption of
>> >bandwidth as a strong one.
>> >
>> >Like, by the virtue of .NET framework, can I acheive the functionality
>> >of a "Tree Control" on my web page, without using/downloading the
>> >ActiveX Tree Control??
>> >
>> >Looking forward ...
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >Muhammad Shuaib

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum

Hi Jim,

Well being specific is that my company already have a browser-based
client which runs an activex in the browser window, to provide
interactive UI to the user. But by the virtue of activex , it takes
a bunch of bandwidth, while downloading to users's machine.

What we are looking foroward is to see if .NET Framework provide some
magic which can be used to replace our ActiveX, and hence save user's
bandwidth, without sacrificing any functionality. Obviously there can
be some compromise but that should b minimized to 1-5 %.

See if you can provide some details, or as you said you are not an
expert of this, see if you can name somebody from Microsoft, who can
be helpful in this regard.

> [...]

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >> Hi Muhammad,
> >>
> >> There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
> >> have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it

> is
> >> available on www.asp.net.)
> >>
> >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
> >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
> >> Microsoft Developer Support
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >>
> >> --------------------

> web???

> 05:29:45 GMT)

> cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
> >>

> ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.
> >> com!not-for-mail

> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Muhammad,

What you are asking is not possible. You have an ActiveX control that runs
on the client. In order for that to happen, the control has to be
downloaded to the client.

You want to replace that with a control in .NET that provides for the same
functionality and is a thin-client with no postback. Therefore, you have
to download something to the client that will provide that. However, your
requirement is that you remove the reliance on downloading anything.

There is no way to do this.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(E-Mail Removed)

--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
>Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

on web???
>Date: 15 Aug 2004 00:04:21 -0700

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed) >
<(E-Mail Removed)>

07:04:22 GMT)
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!p
ostnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11095

> [...]

>> >on the timeout of a minute from a data source on my web-server???
>> >(again this is just an example and not my requirement
>> >
>> >Looking forward ...
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >Muhammad Shuaib
>> >

>> >(E-Mail Removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message

>> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

we

it
>> is

rights.

on
>> web???

>> 05:29:45 GMT)

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.

>> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum

Hello Jim,

Thanx for writing.

While surfing the web, in the same context as of this thread, I came
across something interesting: Smart Clients.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../html/scag.asp

I am having some time reading it, but see if you can provide some
insight of how to compare it with Thin Client and Rich Client as it
says. Though the text on the above links says that it provides a
middle layer, which combines features of both Thin & Rich Cleints, but
still I am not clear about it.

> [...]

> 05:14:48 GMT)

> cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi
> >>

> x.com!news-out!newsfeed.cwix.com!easynet-monga!easynet.net!news.glorb.com!po
> >> stnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11074

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> we

> it
> is

> rights.

> on
> web???

> 05:29:45 GMT)
> >>

> cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
> >> >>

> ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews 2.google.

> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11065
> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Muhammad,

I'm not familiar with Smart Clients. I know of the existence of this
technology, but I'm no expert in them.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(E-Mail Removed)

--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
>Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

on web???
>Date: 19 Aug 2004 22:05:21 -0700

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed) >
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed) >
<(E-Mail Removed)>

05:05:21 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!p
ostnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11124

> [...]

the

rights.

>> controls
>> on web???

>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> 05:14:48 GMT)

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi

x.com!news-out!newsfeed.cwix.com!easynet-monga!easynet.net!news.glorb.com!po

>> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:11074
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols

Controls

>> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

that
>> we

but
>> it
>> is

>> rights.

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols

2004