Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Many ASP.NET controls killing my CPU

Many ASP.NET controls killing my CPU

Carlos

Has anyone come accross something like this
On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5 columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing the page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of IBindingList (except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as to reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption. Paging the DataGrid doesn't help

At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe the datagrid control

But then I did another page where I dinamically have to build a tree of controls (again, a little over 500), each control is a custom composite control and represents a node in the tree. Each time the page is loaded (rendered?) the CPU also goes to 100%. If it is loaded frequently enough the ASPNET worker process resets due to "unexpected error", which I am guessing is due to a StackOverflowException in mscorlib.dll (one time that I was debugging I managed to trap this error

Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how it could be resolved

Many, many thanks in advance
Carlos

John Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone come accross something like this?
> On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5

columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing the
page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that
ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of IBindingList
(except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as to
reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption. Paging
the DataGrid doesn't help.

> At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe the

datagrid control.

> But then I did another page where I dinamically have to build a tree of

controls (again, a little over 500), each control is a custom composite
control and represents a node in the tree. Each time the page is loaded
(rendered?) the CPU also goes to 100%. If it is loaded frequently enough
the ASPNET worker process resets due to "unexpected error", which I am
guessing is due to a StackOverflowException in mscorlib.dll (one time that I
was debugging I managed to trap this error)

> Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how it could be resolved?

I suggest you try to reproduce this with a simple 500-row DataTable instead
of your custom business object collection. That will narrow things down a
bit.
--
John Saunders
John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

Bruno Sirianni

this DataGrid has ViewState = true? Your datasource is in ViewState?

Brun

news:uBUOX%(E-Mail Removed)...