Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > HTML & page design

HTML & page design

Murphy

I am developing a website and would like to minimise the amount of repeated
code/features. As all pages will follow a standard template it would be
advantageous to code this page template once then incorporate it as a user
control or similar.

The template will basically be a table layout 2 rows and 2 cols:
top left cell has the logo
top right cell ha the header
bottom left cell has the menu
bottom right cell has the body

I presently have user controls for all four cells but am having to repeat
the table on every page which makes updating the main layout a pain as I
have multiple pages to update this information in. I can create this table
as a user control then incorporate that into my aspx pages simply enough but
I need control over the contents of the bottom left and right cells as the
menu options will vary depending upon the page being displayed as will the
body of the page (bottom right cell).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Murphy

ccallen

Have you tryed PlaceHolders in the bottom left and bottom right cells
(WebUserContol)? That way you can add the disired controls in Page_Load. Or
the control can be implemented as a composite control.

"Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am developing a website and would like to minimise the amount of

repeated
> code/features. As all pages will follow a standard template it would be
> advantageous to code this page template once then incorporate it as a user
> control or similar.
>
> The template will basically be a table layout 2 rows and 2 cols:
> top left cell has the logo
> top right cell ha the header
> bottom left cell has the menu
> bottom right cell has the body
>
> I presently have user controls for all four cells but am having to repeat
> the table on every page which makes updating the main layout a pain as I
> have multiple pages to update this information in. I can create this table
> as a user control then incorporate that into my aspx pages simply enough

but
> I need control over the contents of the bottom left and right cells as the
> menu options will vary depending upon the page being displayed as will the
> body of the page (bottom right cell).
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Murphy

Murphy

Thanks I've actually solved the problem using a concept called master pages.

www.wilsondotnet.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...