Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Publish on web

Publish on web

James McGivney

I have a small web application in VS.net/C#. I use an
Access database.
I would like to publish and run the application on the
web. My web host has frontpage extensions installed and
claims to be able to run Visual Studio applications.
My question: Do I make a deployment project and then
upload the setup.exe, setup.ini and WebDeploy.msi files
to my directory on the hosts computer, or is their
another way to publish this on the web ?
Any experiences and solutions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi James,
The simplest thing to do is build your application in release mode, not the
debug mode. Make sure you set debug to false in your web.config file too.
Use the Xcopy option in vs.net. This is the simplest method. It will copy
all the necessary files into a copy_of_yourweb_application folder in
inetpub/wwwroot directory.

The contents of this copy folder is all you need.It contains all the
necessary files that you need to deploy. This option is available under
project --copy project on the vs.net menu. When running Xcopy it will ask
you if you want to deploy only the necessary files. Select this option and
it will copy the compiled dll without the source code files.

Deploy the contents of the copy folder with the same directory structure.
This is my preffered method and the method I use. If your webhost supports
front page extentions then you can directly deploy to your webhost from
within VS.net itself.

You do not make a deployment project. This is because someone needs to run
the setup files and install. For deployments where you have access to the
server or someone is willing to run the setup files, use this method. I
doubt your webhost will want to run the setup files for you personally and
set it up ;P

Look in the docs under Xcopy for more info.

"James McGivney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:007001c3d86d$615a0430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a small web application in VS.net/C#. I use an
> Access database.
> I would like to publish and run the application on the
> web. My web host has frontpage extensions installed and
> claims to be able to run Visual Studio applications.
> My question: Do I make a deployment project and then
> upload the setup.exe, setup.ini and WebDeploy.msi files
> to my directory on the hosts computer, or is their
> another way to publish this on the web ?
> Any experiences and solutions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jim

Alessandro Zifiglio

forgetting about your access database. Upload this .mdb file to the db
folder assigned to you by your webhost. This folder is usually given the
correct permissions for you to perform read/write operations.

Hope that helped ;P
Good luck
"Alessandro Zifiglio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:EilMb.1875$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi James,
> The simplest thing to do is build your application in release mode, not

the
> debug mode. Make sure you set debug to false in your web.config file too.
> Use the Xcopy option in vs.net. This is the simplest method. It will copy
> all the necessary files into a copy_of_yourweb_application folder in
> inetpub/wwwroot directory.
>
> The contents of this copy folder is all you need.It contains all the
> necessary files that you need to deploy. This option is available under
> project --copy project on the vs.net menu. When running Xcopy it will ask
> you if you want to deploy only the necessary files. Select this option and
> it will copy the compiled dll without the source code files.
>
> Deploy the contents of the copy folder with the same directory structure.
> This is my preffered method and the method I use. If your webhost supports
> front page extentions then you can directly deploy to your webhost from
> within VS.net itself.
>
> You do not make a deployment project. This is because someone needs to run
> the setup files and install. For deployments where you have access to the
> server or someone is willing to run the setup files, use this method. I
> doubt your webhost will want to run the setup files for you personally and
> set it up ;P
>
> Look in the docs under Xcopy for more info.
>
> "James McGivney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:007001c3d86d$615a0430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a small web application in VS.net/C#. I use an
> > Access database.
> > I would like to publish and run the application on the
> > web. My web host has frontpage extensions installed and
> > claims to be able to run Visual Studio applications.
> > My question: Do I make a deployment project and then
> > upload the setup.exe, setup.ini and WebDeploy.msi files
> > to my directory on the hosts computer, or is their
> > another way to publish this on the web ?
> > Any experiences and solutions would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

James McGivney

Thank you. You information was very helpful.
Jim

hotmail.com> wrote in