Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > just getting started-cant find server

just getting started-cant find server

Paul.

Hi, I am trying to get asp.net going and am using the Code
notes asp.net book example. I have installed IIS and
VS.net webdevelopment along with the entire vs package. I
created a virtual directory located at c:\test, and saved
a simple test program called test.aspx in the directory.
When I try to view the file with my browser, go to
http://localhost/aspTest/test.aspx I get the (cannot find
page) message. I used the virtual directory creation
wizard in IIS and set alias as aspTest and directory as
c:/test. also when I view test.aspx properties from IIS it
shows local path as \aspTest\test.aspx. I am running
windows 2000 and IIS version 5. Also I have .aspx
extensions in the application configuration window set to
aspnet_isapi.dll in the Microsoft.NET\Framework
directory. Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions, thanks.

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi paul,
Most problems are due to the fact that most people install vs.net and then
IIS, which messes up the mappings. This article on technet should help you
troubleshoot.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...netinstall.asp

You probably know this however just in case rem that when using vs.net to
create a project you do not need to manually create a virtual directory
under IIS. This is already done for you by vs.net
"Paul." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:032c01c3cf31$aadb45f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am trying to get asp.net going and am using the Code
> notes asp.net book example. I have installed IIS and
> VS.net webdevelopment along with the entire vs package. I
> created a virtual directory located at c:\test, and saved
> a simple test program called test.aspx in the directory.
> When I try to view the file with my browser, go to
> http://localhost/aspTest/test.aspx I get the (cannot find
> page) message. I used the virtual directory creation
> wizard in IIS and set alias as aspTest and directory as
> c:/test. also when I view test.aspx properties from IIS it
> shows local path as \aspTest\test.aspx. I am running
> windows 2000 and IIS version 5. Also I have .aspx
> extensions in the application configuration window set to
> aspnet_isapi.dll in the Microsoft.NET\Framework
> directory. Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions, thanks.

paul

Hi thanks for the response. I did install vs.net first
and then IIS so this may be the problem. Also had
forgotten that vs.net creates the virt directory for
you.Paul.

url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standar
d/aacontroubleshootingaspnetinstall.asp