Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer search using computer name

Computer search using computer name

H.S

I am building a home network.
Two computers are residing under a workgroup. One is desktop and ther other is notebook.
PC is connected to router in a wired manner and notebook is connected to the network using wireless network.
I want to share folders between these two computers.
The problem I have is that workgroup doesn't show two computers.
If I search the computer manually using IP address, it is found. But search based on computer name failed.
I believe there is some configuration problem.
Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Regards,

=?Utf-8?B?TQ==?=

I am also having a similar problem. My desktop can see the name of my laptop,
but it won't connect to it for file sharing purposes. The laptop doesn't see
the desktop as part of its network, but the laptop can ping to the desktop.
And although the desktop sees the laptop a ping to the laptop has no
response. I'm hoping that whoever helps you with your problem can help me
with mine.

"H.S" wrote:

> I am building a home network.
> Two computers are residing under a workgroup. One is desktop and ther other is notebook.
> PC is connected to router in a wired manner and notebook is connected to the network using wireless network.
> I want to share folders between these two computers.
> The problem I have is that workgroup doesn't show two computers.
> If I search the computer manually using IP address, it is found. But search based on computer name failed.
> I believe there is some configuration problem.
> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
>
> Regards,

TW

HS
This sounds like a browser issue. The browser service probably is running on
each machine thus causing your name resolution problems. The browser
service, upon startup of the computer, searches the network looking for the
master browser on the network. The master browser is the computer that holds
the list of shares on the network, and populates the network places with any
shared resources on the network. You can try stopping the browser service on
one of the computers, thus forcing the it to find the master browser and
populate your network places.
Question is- have you shared anything? Creating a share will start the
server service. Without that you aren't visible on the network.

I believe your problem is the firewall software that your using. Firewalls
typically stop pings and any netbios activity unless you configure the
firewall to allow pings, netbios(windows networking) or in general a trusted
zone. I don't know what firewall you are using, but if you don't either,
then your using the windows firewall. I don't use that so I can't offer much
advise here but go to control panel| security center| click firewall and
look for a way to enable file sharing or something like that.

HS
You might also have firewall issues.

Hope that helps
TW

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am also having a similar problem. My desktop can see the name of my
>laptop,
> but it won't connect to it for file sharing purposes. The laptop doesn't
> see
> the desktop as part of its network, but the laptop can ping to the
> desktop.
> And although the desktop sees the laptop a ping to the laptop has no
> response. I'm hoping that whoever helps you with your problem can help me
> with mine.
>
> "H.S" wrote:
>
>> I am building a home network.
>> Two computers are residing under a workgroup. One is desktop and ther
>> other is notebook.
>> PC is connected to router in a wired manner and notebook is connected to
>> the network using wireless network.
>> I want to share folders between these two computers.
>> The problem I have is that workgroup doesn't show two computers.
>> If I search the computer manually using IP address, it is found. But
>> search based on computer name failed.
>> I believe there is some configuration problem.
>> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
>>
>> Regards,

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).