Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Embedded resources and extened namespaces

Embedded resources and extened namespaces

Philipp Seidel

Hi there!

I have a minor problem with embedded resources, which puzzles me quite a
lot.
I'd be glad if anyone can help me on this:

I've added a few files (images) to an assembly as embedded resources.
Within the project folder these files are in a subfolder named "images".

Now while trying to access them I expected to get them this way:
RootNameSpace.NameOfSubfolder.FileName
i.e.:
NameSpaceOfMyProject.Images.MyImage.jpg

This is how it is explained in here:
Understanding Embedded Resources in Visual Studio .NET
http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/embeddedresources.asp

But what I experience under VB.NET, ist that it is not possible to organize
embedded resources this way - meaning: the name space won't extend by the
name of the subfolder.

It's just this way:
RootNameSpace.FileName
i.e.:
NameSpaceOfMyProject.MyImage.jpg

This behavoir fits more to what is discribed this article:
How to Embed Resource Files in .NET Assemblies (cont'd)
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/10831/0/page/2

Ok, so far you'd might think, that one of the authors is wrong.
But the answer is: No, they both seem to be right!

I have downloaded and tried a C#-example from Eric Woodroff:
A Resource Server Handler Class For Custom Controls
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems...edded%7Cresour
ce

As you can see there, the namespace extends, as expected first.

This drives me nuts!!!
*bangingheadotowall*

Is there a difference how VB.NET and C# handle embedded Resources?
Did I forget to configuere something?
Did I misunderstand something?

Please help me - otherwise I can't take off for the weekend!

Thanx!

Philipp Seidel