Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > problem with one file

problem with one file

thedarkman

Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
interested in css.

I've made one tiny alteration, to the link in the Ian Huntley
limerick.

The bottom line, I'm quite happy with both bold text and centred
limericks. This is my house style.

To the guy who alluded to a block of red at the end, if kind sir you
view this with IE you will see it is not a block of red.

The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
non-italic.

I want to get that in red italic.

After that, it has gone ballistic.

The html error finder someone sent me finds all sorts of errors
including <a name="thislim">

I don't see anything wrong with that.

My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
help me sort out this simple problem.

Doug Miller

On 10/27/2011 7:00 AM, thedarkman wrote:
> Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
> interested in css.

Then in your stubbornness and ignorance, you have excluded the best
solution to most of your problems.

> The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
> beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
> lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
> non-italic.

No, the problem you have is very poorly written HTML, compounded by your
refusal to use best practices (i.e. CSS). Fix the 2100+ errors on the
page first, most of which result from the missing document type
definition. Then you will find people more willing to help.

> I want to get that in red italic.

Here's a thought: try closing your <FONT> tags.

> My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
> help me sort out this simple problem.

You seem to have trouble distinguishing between "people can't help you"
and "people WON'T help you."

Nobody wants to give you any assistance until you implement the good
advice you've already been offered.

Mayeul

On 27/10/2011 13:00, thedarkman wrote:
> Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
> interested in css.
>
> I've made one tiny alteration, to the link in the Ian Huntley
> limerick.
>
> The bottom line, I'm quite happy with both bold text and centred
> limericks. This is my house style.
>
> To the guy who alluded to a block of red at the end, if kind sir you
> view this with IE you will see it is not a block of red.
>
> The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
> beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
> lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
> non-italic.
>
> I want to get that in red italic.
>
> After that, it has gone ballistic.

You could try actually closing some mandatory-closing tags for a change,
like those <font> tags. I'm not sure a browser will actually imagine
someone would stack them endlessly like that.

Maybe it's unrelated. You've already been told how to analyze an HTML
problem. And you will hear none of it.

> The html error finder someone sent me finds all sorts of errors
> including<a name="thislim">
>
> I don't see anything wrong with that.
>
> My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
> help me sort out this simple problem.

They're not the ones insisting you stay with this "house style" of yours
that cause so many problems.
I guess you're not interested in solving them pragmatically after all.
Best of luck obtaining whatever you want by any other way.

--
Mayeul

MG

"thedarkman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
> interested in css.

Did you look at the link posted by picayunish (Edwin van der Vaart)?

Zero errors! All 2000 have been eliminated.

Take that code and use it. And say a big thank you for the effort he has put
in to help you.

--
MG

Denis McMahon

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 04:00:18 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

> Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
> interested in css.

That's a shame, because a very small investment in RESEARCHING css mr
RESEARCHER NOT CODE WARRIOR would reduce the page size and clean up a lot
of your problems.

However, it seems that your RESEARCHER ability is woefully broken when it
comes to HTML, let alone CSS.

However, here are some basic hints:

If you use <a name="something"> you need to put </a> after it. Somewhere
before the next <a ......>

If you use <font color="something"> you need to put </font> after it.
Somewhere before the next <font ......>

If you use <b> you must, somewhere further on, use </b>, before the next
<b>

If you use <i> you must, somewhere further on, use </i>, before the next
<i>

These are fundamental markup errors that you repeat throughout the
document, and it bis the accumulation of your markup errors that
eventually breaks the browser.

Rgds

Denis McMahon