Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > problem with one file

problem with one file

thedarkman

hi,

I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
bit of practical help.

Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
this

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html

it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.

In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.

Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
most grateful.

Ta

Denis McMahon

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:22:28 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
> bit of practical help.

First of all, fix the 2000+ html validation errors that adorn your
website.

You've been given this advice in the past. You seem unable to follow it.
Until you do follow it, it's a waste of time asking us to solve your
problems.

It is quite possible that the error is the cumulative effect of the large
number of unmatched opening tags that cause or are a result of various
markup errors.

When you have a page that validates, if it still fails to display
correctly, I and possibly others may be willing to work out what the bug
is in the application(s) that display it incorrectly, however no-one is
going to spend the time needed to do so when first of all they have to
correct all the mark-up errors to eliminate those both individually and
cumulatively as the cause of your problem.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

123Jim

On 27/10/2011 00:22, thedarkman wrote:
> PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM

For the love of Bob!

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...limericks.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

thedarkman wrote:

> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
> bit of practical help.
>
> Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
> this
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html

You would be a long way towards making the page more readable if you
would drop the <center>. Limericks are normally displayed thusly:

A computer, to print out a fact,
Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
...But this output can be
...No more than debris,
If the input was short of exact.

where the dots indicate spacing. Add about 15% padding to the left to
keep the content away from the browser viewport border.

The colors are less of a problem than the ability to read easily.

Try this:

<h2>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h2>
<pre class='limerick'>
A computer, to print out a fact,
Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
But this output can be
No more than debris,
If the input was short of exact.
</pre>

Use CSS something like this:

body { font-size: 100%; margin-left: 15%; }
h2 { font-size: 140%; background: transparent; color: red; }
..limerick { font-family: Georgia, serif; }

If you only use <pre> for limericks, you can just style the pre element
itself, and not bother with the .limerick class.

Oh, and bold content text is also hard to read. I notice just about all
of your pages are very large bold text. I need to ask: do you have a
vision problem? Most of your visitors will not, so use standard size text
and adjust your own browsers for larger, if you need it. Don't make me
suffer, though.

Is that a lecture?

--
-bts

MG

"thedarkman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
> bit of practical help.
>
> Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
> this
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
>
> it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
>
> In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
>
> Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
> to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
> supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
> most grateful.
>
> Ta

I seem to remember that someone went to the trouble of reworking your code
that eliminated nearly all of the 2000 errors. It seems you disregarded all
that hard work.

--
MG

JJ

On 27/10/2011 00:22, thedarkman wrote:
> hi,
>
> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
> bit of practical help.
>
> Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
> this
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
>
> it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
>
> In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
>
> Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
> to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
> supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
> most grateful.

You don't have to be a "code warrior" to get this working in all
browsers, and you don't have to "rekey the whole bloody lot" either
(that's what copy and paste is for). If you mark up each limerick as
follows:

<h3>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h3>
<pre>
A computer, to print out a fact,
Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
But this output can be
No more than debris,
If the input was short of exact.
</pre>

Then add some simple CSS after the </title> and before the </head>:

body { font: 100% "Times New Roman", Times, serif; text-align: center; }
h3 { color: #F00; font-style: italic; font-size: 200%; }
pre { font: 100% "Times New Roman", Times, serif; }

It would be sorted.

Also, what's with the massive wall of text at the end? Maybe you want a
wall of text but do you really want it red and spanning the entire width
of the page? You're making it an ordeal for most people to read,
regardless of how good the content might be (I wouldn't know, not having
read it).

dorayme

In article <j8b62k$if5$(E-Mail Removed)>, JJ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> You don't have to be a "code warrior" to get this working in all
> browsers, and you don't have to "rekey the whole bloody lot" either
> (that's what copy and paste is for). If you mark up each limerick as
> follows:
>
> <h3>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h3>
> <pre>
> A computer, to print out a fact,
> Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
> But this output can be
> No more than debris,
> If the input was short of exact.
> </pre>
>
> Then add some simple CSS after the </title> and before the </head>:

Another idea, given the short nature of the lines, getting the
limerick centred that seems to be wanted by the OP, but avoiding
the ugly line by line centring of the actual text, is:

A computer, to print out a fact,<br>
Will divide, multiply, and subtract.<br>
But this output can be<br>
No more than debris,<br>
If the input was short of exact.<br>

div {display: table; margin: auto;}

Or use a P if you think a limerick is a sort of tuneful paragraph.

--
dorayme

picayunish

On 27-10-2011 9:54, MG wrote:
> "thedarkman"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi,
>>
>> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
>> bit of practical help.
>>
>> Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
>> this
>>
>> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
>>
>> it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
>>
>> In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
>>
>> Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
>> to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
>> supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
>> most grateful.
>>
>> Ta

> I seem to remember that someone went to the trouble of reworking your code
> that eliminated nearly all of the 2000 errors. It seems you disregarded all
> that hard work.

You mean like this.
[http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
--