Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help! How can I let Intel Proset completely control my wirelss?

Help! How can I let Intel Proset completely control my wirelss?

networm

Hi all,

ToI've heard many stories that on Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC the Micrsoft
ZeroConfigure wireless does
not play nicely with the whole system.

I have also experienced some suspicous problems: mostly, the wireless failed
many times when resuming from standby( I have 1.5 GB memory, but this
problem was also recurring when I had 512MB RAM previously...)

To cure this problem, I have already uninstalled Toshiba ConfigureFree. And
also somewhere in control panel, I have chosen "don't let MS configure
wirelss"...

But it seemed that MS is stilling in controling of the wireless. Every time
when the wireless failed after resuming from standby, I tried to launch
manually the Intel Proset wireless utility. It finds available wireless
networks successfully, but when I click the "connect" button, it complains
that "An other application is controlling the wireless adaptor"...

This shows that the MS is still controlling the wireless. The Intel Proset
does not even have an opportunity to grab the wirelss card.

How can I completely let Intel Proset to control the wireless card?

thanks a lot

--------------------

Update --

As I have reported, I have already made sure that step "don't allow MS to
configure wireless" is done. And the
Wireless MS ZeroConfigure is disabled even from startup...

But when it resumes from standby, the wireless failure still occurs 25% of
time. And when it failed, I run Intel Proset software utility, it still
complains that the wireless card is in use for another application...

A proof of the existence of Intel Proset under normal situation is that
there is a GREEN FAN like icon on notification area of the system tray and
after it finds the network the following MS icon began to "prapogate wave
out of the computer icon"...

The above is when the wireless networks work properly.

When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The Intel
Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.

But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate out
from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system tray,
similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it, since wirelss
does not work properly.

This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS, not
completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel Proset
software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?

However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use Intel
Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab the
wireless card...

networm

After so much debugging work, I still have the same problem.

Can I disable the following services from within "msconfig"?

In msconfig services list:

Server
Workstation
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness(NLA)
SavRoam
Smart Card
SSDP Discovery Service
Telephony
terminal Services
Distributed Link Tracking Client
WebClient
Network Provisioning Service

In the above list, only SavRoam is not from MS, (it is from unknown
company), all other services are from MS... can I disable them from loading
at startup?

I found Intel has its own version of "ZCfgSrv.exe"... I am trying to disable
it too.

"networm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> ToI've heard many stories that on Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC the Micrsoft
> ZeroConfigure wireless does
> not play nicely with the whole system.
>
> I have also experienced some suspicous problems: mostly, the wireless
> failed
> many times when resuming from standby( I have 1.5 GB memory, but this
> problem was also recurring when I had 512MB RAM previously...)
>
> To cure this problem, I have already uninstalled Toshiba ConfigureFree.
> And
> also somewhere in control panel, I have chosen "don't let MS configure
> wirelss"...
>
> But it seemed that MS is stilling in controling of the wireless. Every
> time
> when the wireless failed after resuming from standby, I tried to launch
> manually the Intel Proset wireless utility. It finds available wireless
> networks successfully, but when I click the "connect" button, it complains
> that "An other application is controlling the wireless adaptor"...
>
> This shows that the MS is still controlling the wireless. The Intel Proset
> does not even have an opportunity to grab the wirelss card.
>
> How can I completely let Intel Proset to control the wireless card?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> --------------------
>
> Update --
>
> As I have reported, I have already made sure that step "don't allow MS to
> configure wireless" is done. And the
> Wireless MS ZeroConfigure is disabled even from startup...
>
> But when it resumes from standby, the wireless failure still occurs 25% of
> time. And when it failed, I run Intel Proset software utility, it still
> complains that the wireless card is in use for another application...
>
> A proof of the existence of Intel Proset under normal situation is that
> there is a GREEN FAN like icon on notification area of the system tray and
> after it finds the network the following MS icon began to "prapogate wave
> out of the computer icon"...
>
> The above is when the wireless networks work properly.
>
> When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The Intel
> Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.
>
> But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate out
> from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system tray,
> similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it, since
> wirelss does not work properly.
>
> This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS, not
> completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel Proset
> software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?
>
> However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use
> Intel Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab the
> wireless card...

networm

btw, I have installed the latest card driver for 2200BG from Intel website.

> [...]
>> and after it finds the network the following MS icon began to "prapogate
>> wave out of the computer icon"...
>>
>> The above is when the wireless networks work properly.
>>
>> When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The Intel
>> Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.
>>
>> But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate out
>> from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system tray,
>> similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it, since
>> wirelss does not work properly.
>>
>> This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS, not
>> completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel Proset
>> software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?
>>
>> However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use
>> Intel Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab

Quaoar

> [...]
> tray and after it finds the network the following MS icon began to
> "prapogate wave out of the computer icon"...
>
> The above is when the wireless networks work properly.
>
> When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The
> Intel Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.
>
> But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate
> out from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system
> tray, similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it,
> since wirelss does not work properly.
>
> This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS,
> not completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel
> Proset software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?
>
> However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use
> Intel Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab

Go into Start/Run/msconfig/startup tab and look at each and every one of
the startup items to verify what is running wireless. Also, Task
Manager, for the same. Frankly, I think you might be misguided about
Wireless Zero being a problem and you might want to re-enable it for a
time just to see what it does for the connectivity.