Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C language Development Tools?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C language Development Tools?

 
 
Bill Reid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2011
On Oct 25, 12:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
>
> Good C language development tools?
>
> I use vi, cc, and make. *Anything else just gets in the way.
>

You mean like a linker? You really ARE hardcore...

> Free yourself! *Embrace the command line.
>

Actually, right off the bat I can't see the big
advantage using vi rather than say "Notepad", but
the truth is I've always been more than satisfied
with the dedicated code editors that come with
the various development packages.

Their version of "make", now that's a somewhat
different story...you always have to guess what,
where, when, and how they've decided code will
go into the thing. Some are basically unusable
as a result, others are OK and actually a big
help at times once you figure out what you need to
do and when to do it...

---
William Ernest Reid
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Patrick Scheible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2011
Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Oct 26, 10:28*am, Elisa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 3:55*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

>
>> > Good C language development tools?

>>
>> > I use vi, cc, and make. *Anything else just gets in the way.

>>
>> > Free yourself! *Embrace the command line.

>
> move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?


Grumpf. GUIs are a Cadillac. The command line is a truck. If you want
to get work done, use the truck.

-- Patrick
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nick Keighley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2011
On Oct 27, 9:02*pm, Patrick Scheible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On Oct 26, 10:28*am, Elisa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> On Oct 26, 3:55*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

>
> >> > Good C language development tools?

>
> >> > I use vi, cc, and make. *Anything else just gets in the way.

>
> >> > Free yourself! *Embrace the command line.

>
> > move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?

>
> Grumpf. *GUIs are a Cadillac. *The command line is a truck. *If youwant
> to get work done, use the truck.


despite your prejudices there are millions of peopel getting work done
using guis. vi is not the command line.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Esa Lakaniemi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2011
On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
> The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
> know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
> escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
> as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
> portable enough.
>
> Phil


Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
RabbitHaskell@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
> know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
> escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
> as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
> portable enough.


Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
H, J, K, and L. Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
should be in command mode and using the movement commands--it's more
efficient like that, anyway.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Carmody
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
> > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
> > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
> > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
> > portable enough.

>
> Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
> H, J, K, and L.


You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
pile of line noise.

> Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
> command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
> should be in command mode


Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.

> and using the movement commands--it's more
> efficient like that, anyway.


Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.

Phil
--
Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity
-- Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Keighley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
On Oct 28, 2:36*pm, Esa Lakaniemi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
> > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
> > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
> > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
> > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
> > portable enough.

>
> > Phil

>
> Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
> insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.


there's a standard for vi?

--
"VI VI VI the editor of the beast"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Keighley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
On Oct 29, 3:28*pm, Phil Carmody <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
> > > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
> > > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
> > > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
> > > portable enough.

>
> > Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
> > H, J, K, and L.

>
> You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
> them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
> pile of line noise.
>
> > Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
> > command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
> > should be in command mode

>
> Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
> whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
> so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.
>
> > and using the movement commands--it's more
> > efficient like that, anyway.

>
> Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
> read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.


to be fair vi isn't aimed at the average user, which appear to be what
TIARTA is talking about
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Kuyper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
On 10/29/2011 10:42 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2:36�pm, Esa Lakaniemi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

....
>> Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
>> insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

>
> there's a standard for vi?


Yes, it's one of the Unix standard command line utilities; it's
currently specified by IEEE Std 1003.1-2008.
--
James Kuyper
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2011
Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Oct 28, 2:36*pm, Esa Lakaniemi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
>>
>> > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
>> > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
>> > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
>> > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
>> > portable enough.

>>
>> > Phil

>>
>> Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
>> insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

>
> there's a standard for vi?


Yes, POSIX.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone recommend some good books to learn Java programming with? Zer0 Voltage Java 5 06-27-2011 04:59 PM
I'm a beginner of c++,can anyone recommend some books? Solo.Wolve C++ 6 09-09-2007 09:29 PM
Can anyone recommend some Cisco certification's? (not spam!) John Cisco 3 02-28-2005 04:26 AM
Can anyone recommend a good news server trigger Computer Support 3 12-08-2003 10:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a good IP spoof app? DragonRider Computer Support 2 06-25-2003 10:26 AM



Advertisments