Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Take This Test

Take This Test

ChrisCoaster

http://www.speedtest.net/

It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
download/upload speeds.

Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
that swing was during just one test!

Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
day??

-ChrisCoaster.

Paul

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> http://www.speedtest.net/
>
> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> download/upload speeds.
>
> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
> that swing was during just one test!
>
> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> day??
>
> -ChrisCoaster.

And if cable internet was a "shared media" down near the access, would
you then be surprised by the results ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_Internet_access

"Shared bandwidth

Like most residential broadband technologies, such as FTTX, Satellite
Internet, or WiMAX, a population of users share the available bandwidth.

Some technologies share only their core network, while some including
Cable Internet and PON also share the access network. This arrangement
allows the network operator to take advantage of statistical multiplexing,
a bandwidth sharing technique which is employed to distribute bandwidth
fairly, in order to provide an adequate level of service at an acceptable
price. However, the operator has to monitor usage patterns and scale the
network appropriately, to ensure that customers receive adequate service
even during peak-usage times. If the network operator does not provide
enough bandwidth for a particular neighborhood, the service can become
sluggish if many people are using the service at the same time.

Operators have been known to use a bandwidth cap, or other bandwidth
throttling technique; users' download speed is limited during peak times,
if they have downloaded a large amount of data that day.
"

My ADSL numbers aren't nearly as good as your cable, so even with the
rollercoaster performance, you'd still got me beat. My access has more
consistent performance, but even your "minimum", beats my numbers. So
you're better off. Be careful what you wish for. My upload speed is
so poor, about the only thing it would support is a voice connection
(or a very crappy low bandwidth video connection).

Paul

ChrisCoaster

On Oct 21, 5:57*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ChrisCoaster wrote:
> >http://www.speedtest.net/

> > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> > download/upload speeds.

> > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> > people would NOT come off the ride alive! *OTOH, my upload speed is
> > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. *On a download test where my speed
> > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. *And
> > that swing was during just one test!

> > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> > day??

> > -ChrisCoaster.

> And if cable internet was a "shared media" down near the access, would
> you then be surprised by the results ?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_Internet_access
>
> * * "Shared bandwidth
>
> * * *Like most residential broadband technologies, such as FTTX, Satellite
> * * *Internet, or WiMAX, a population of users share the available bandwidth.
>
> * * *Some technologies share only their core network, while some including
> * * *Cable Internet and PON also share the access network. This arrangement
> * * *allows the network operator to take advantage of statistical multiplexing,
> * * *a bandwidth sharing technique which is employed to distribute bandwidth
> * * *fairly, in order to provide an adequate level of service at anacceptable
> * * *price. However, the operator has to monitor usage patterns andscale the
> * * *network appropriately, to ensure that customers receive adequate service
> * * *even during peak-usage times. If the network operator does notprovide
> * * *enough bandwidth for a particular neighborhood, the service can become
> * * *sluggish if many people are using the service at the same time..
>
> * * *Operators have been known to use a bandwidth cap, or other bandwidth
> * * *throttling technique; users' download speed is limited during peak times,
> * * *if they have downloaded a large amount of data that day.
> * * "
>
> My ADSL numbers aren't nearly as good as your cable, so even with the
> rollercoaster performance, you'd still got me beat. My access has more
> consistent performance, but even your "minimum", beats my numbers. So
> you're better off. Be careful what you wish for. My upload speed is
> so poor, about the only thing it would support is a voice connection
> (or a very crappy low bandwidth video connection).
>
> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

_______________________________

Actually Paul my "guaranteed upload"(that is if I'm sending you
somthing) is 1.5mbps. I've got that beat: 2.09!

Guaranteed dowload = 15mbps. Mine: 4.0 to 19mbps final(not
considering the roller coasters)

-CC

Chris S.

"ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.speedtest.net/
>
> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> download/upload speeds.
>
> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
> that swing was during just one test!
>
> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> day??
>
> -ChrisCoaster.

25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

ChrisCoaster

On Oct 21, 6:25*pm, "Chris S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >http://www.speedtest.net/

> > It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> > you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> > download/upload speeds.

> > Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> > people would NOT come off the ride alive! *OTOH, my upload speed is
> > mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. *On a download test where my speed
> > was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. *And
> > that swing was during just one test!

> > Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> > day??

> > -ChrisCoaster.

> 25.38 Mbps Down * *5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16
>
> Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7- Hide quoted text -

_________________________
But look closely at the bottom of the test window - as the line goes
across does it roller-coaster a lot? Mine does.

2 minutes before posting this: My Optimum: 21.39 Down 2.10 Up Ping
11 (my pings are typically 10 to 12)
My Upload was 1.8, Once, but never again. Otherwise always 2.09 ~
2.10.

-CC

Jeff Strickland

"ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.speedtest.net/
>
> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> download/upload speeds.
>
> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
> that swing was during just one test!
>
> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> day??

Download speed swings are a function of the service and the loads upon it.

Jeff Strickland

"ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.speedtest.net/
>
> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> download/upload speeds.
>
> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
> that swing was during just one test!
>
> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> day??
>
> -ChrisCoaster.

I got speeds of 25.77 and 4.78. I use Verizon FiOS.

Jeff Strickland

"Chris S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j7srhc$njj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.speedtest.net/
>>
>> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
>> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
>> download/upload speeds.
>>
>> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
>> people would NOT come off the ride alive! OTOH, my upload speed is
>> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. On a download test where my speed
>> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. And
>> that swing was during just one test!
>>
>> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
>> day??
>>
>> -ChrisCoaster.

> 25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16
>
> Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

ChrisCoaster

On Oct 22, 12:48*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Chris S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:j7srhc$njj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > "ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> >>http://www.speedtest.net/

> >> It allows you to test download/upload speeds, ping test etc. It allows
> >> you to compare graphically back to calendar date you select, your
> >> download/upload speeds.

> >> Put it this way: If my download speed history was a rollercoaster,
> >> people would NOT come off the ride alive! *OTOH, my upload speed is
> >> mostly rock-stady, 2.08~2.09mbps. *On a download test where my speed
> >> was 8.9mbps, the max was 5.9mbps and the max was 13 & change. *And
> >> that swing was during just one test!

> >> Is it my pc, the cable internet provider, the volume of users/time of
> >> day??

> >> -ChrisCoaster.

> > 25.38 Mbps Down * *5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

> > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

> You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

_____________________
Still, both our pings are faster than the average suggested by the
site: http://pingtest.net/learn.php Anything less than 50ms is
considered acceptable. Before my harddrive replacement I used to get
pings between 5 & 10ms! Nowadays 11 - 15 is normal for me.

-CC

Joe J

"ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 22, 12:48 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Chris S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:j7srhc$njj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > "ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > 25.38 Mbps Down 5.21 Mbps UP Ping 16

>> > Verizon FiOS. Exactly what I pay for. 24/7

>> You ping is slow. My ping is 9. I also have FiOS.

> Still, both our pings are faster than the average suggested by the
> site: http://pingtest.net/learn.php Anything less than 50ms is
> considered acceptable. Before my harddrive replacement I used to get
> pings between 5 & 10ms! Nowadays 11 - 15 is normal for me.
>
> -CC

I'm so envious. I'm TW Cable. 10.6 down, 1M up and a ping of 21ms.
I have the 3 way bundle, cable, phone & internets for $130 per month.
What does your FiOS cost?