Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Dennis Ritchie -- An Appreciation

Dennis Ritchie -- An Appreciation

Walter Banks

AK wrote:

> On Oct 17, 5:00 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve Summit) wrote:
> > [I haven't posted here in quite some time, but I should
> > definitely post this here. It's also on the web athttp://www.eskimo.com/~scs/dmr.html.]
> >
> > I'm a programmer, and just about always have been.
> > My favorite programming language is still C, and my favorite
> > operating system is still Unix. Dennis Ritchie was, of course,
> > jointly responsible for both. So I have definitely lost a
> > personal hero and, to the extent that I can claim I've learned
> > from his work, a mentor as well.

> Same here. In fact, I'm quite ****ed at the press in my country, who
> gave a front page tribute to Steve Jobs and not even a mention about
> Dennis Ritchie.

Dennis Ritchie is on a short list of individuals who had a huge impact
on computing as we know it. The press unfortunately finds it difficult
to explain how the tools we use are essential for the applications we
write.

Steve Jobs set a standard for computing from a user perspective.

w..

Kaz Kylheku

On 2011-10-20, Walter Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> AK wrote:
>
>> On Oct 17, 5:00 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve Summit) wrote:
>> > [I haven't posted here in quite some time, but I should
>> > definitely post this here. It's also on the web athttp://www.eskimo.com/~scs/dmr.html.]
>> >
>> > I'm a programmer, and just about always have been.
>> > My favorite programming language is still C, and my favorite
>> > operating system is still Unix. Dennis Ritchie was, of course,
>> > jointly responsible for both. So I have definitely lost a
>> > personal hero and, to the extent that I can claim I've learned
>> > from his work, a mentor as well.

>> Same here. In fact, I'm quite ****ed at the press in my country, who
>> gave a front page tribute to Steve Jobs and not even a mention about
>> Dennis Ritchie.

Why would they start mentioning Ritchie when he died, if they didn't mention
him while he was alive?

Steve Jobs made news while he was alive, so of course (that's why) he made news
when he died.

When an athlete makes a new world in the 100m hurdles, we do not honor
the inventor of the hurdle.

Whatever people achieve in C is /in spite/ of the language.

Malcolm McLean

On Oct 20, 6:31*pm, Kaz Kylheku <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Whatever people achieve in C is /in spite/ of the language.

Oh rubbish. There are many, many computer languages out there.
University computer scientists are almost obliged to release a new one
as a career development point. C was the one which stuck, and gave
birth to C++ and Java, the other two popular languages.

--
MiniBasic - how to write a script interpreter (my career development
point)

88888 Dihedral

I recommend Bill gates for gwbasic and Guido for python!

Charles Richmond

"AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 17, 5:00 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve Summit) wrote:
>> [I haven't posted here in quite some time, but I should
>> definitely post this here. It's also on the web
>> athttp://www.eskimo.com/~scs/dmr.html.]
>>
>> I'm a programmer, and just about always have been.
>> My favorite programming language is still C, and my favorite
>> operating system is still Unix. Dennis Ritchie was, of course,
>> jointly responsible for both. So I have definitely lost a
>> personal hero and, to the extent that I can claim I've learned
>> from his work, a mentor as well.

>Same here. In fact, I'm quite ****ed at the press in my country, who
>gave a front page tribute to Steve Jobs and not even a mention about
>Dennis Ritchie.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive;
but it is lightning that does the work."
-- Mark Twain

--
+<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>+
| Charles Richmond http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |

Charles Richmond

"Kaz Kylheku" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-10-20, Walter Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> AK wrote:
>>
>>> [snip...] [snip...]
>>> [snip...]
>>>
>>> Same here. In fact, I'm quite ****ed at the press in my country, who
>>> gave a front page tribute to Steve Jobs and not even a mention about
>>> Dennis Ritchie.

> Why would they start mentioning Ritchie when he died, if they didn't
> mention
> him while he was alive?

Both Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson appeared on the national news
broadcasts in the U.S., when President Clinton awarded both the National
Medal of Technology. So dmr was *not* totally ignored by the reporters.

--
+<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>+
| Charles Richmond (E-Mail Removed) |

Jorgen Grahn

On Thu, 2011-10-20, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Oct 20, 6:31*pm, Kaz Kylheku <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Whatever people achieve in C is /in spite/ of the language.
>>

> Oh rubbish.

I was going to write a much longer response, but your first sentence
sums it up, really.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Nick Keighley

On Oct 21, 9:35*am, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> > On Oct 20, 6:31*pm, Kaz Kylheku <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Whatever people achieve in C is /in spite/ of the language.

> > Oh rubbish.

> I was going to write a much longer response, but your first sentence
> sums it up, really.

quite. "Why Pascal Isn't My Favoutite Language" (or something like
that) is worth a read

Kaz Kylheku

On 2011-10-18, Dann Corbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> C is close enough to the hardware to allow me to avoid writing assembly
> in order to keep a program fast. Yet C is abstract enough to write
> complicated ideas in a symbolic way in order to make the code easy to
> maintain.
>
> C is the mother of the modern OO languages like C++ and Java.

I would say that Pascal, Algol, BCPL and PL1 are the parents of C,
and C++ is just a dialect of C which adds Simula 67 to the parentage.

The core dictinctive C++ features are very similar to Simula, even
in the terminology. Virtual functions, access specifiers like protected,
etc.

``Simula 67 introduced objects, classes, subclasses, virtual methods,
coroutines, discrete event simulation and features garbage collection.''
[Wikipedia]

With no coroutines or garbage collection, C++ looks like a step backwards.

Roberto Waltman

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>I would say ... C++ is just a dialect of C which adds Simula 67 to the parentage.

What a coincidence, Bjarne Stroustrup says the same:

"C++ was designed to provide Simulaís facilities for program
organization together with Cís efficiency and flexibility for systems
programming"

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,