Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB tethering for phone to use PC Network ?

USB tethering for phone to use PC Network ?

- Bobb -

Any way to have a phone/tablet use a PC's broadband network for
mail/internet when not in cell phone range ? I have a Samsung tab and can
share ITS connection, but how to do it in reverse ?

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> Any way to have a phone/tablet use a PC's broadband network for
> mail/internet when not in cell phone range ? I have a Samsung tab and can
> share ITS connection, but how to do it in reverse ?

To make this more fun, you should have provided the exact model number of
the Samsung machine, so we can get some specs.

*******

A general way of setting up daisy chained networks, is ICS or
Internet Connection Sharing. That's mentioned here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-845f014eb94f

But as a "hardware guy", I'd try to get an Ethernet connection instead.
Either the machine has an RJ-45 Ethernet connector on it, or you can
add one. With a wired connection, you get consistent performance,
limited only by your ISP/broadband characteristics.

If the device didn't have an RJ-45 connector, this kind of thing
converts USB2 to LAN. Obviously, this only works, if the OS is designed
to recognize the "USB Class" of the device. Some OSes have a driver
built-in for it, while in other cases, you'd need to install a driver.
But you wouldn't reach for one of these, unless you absolutely needed it.
Perhaps you can set up a Bluetooth PAN instead (with lower bandwidth limit).

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-N...8631351&sr=8-1

*******

I can't comment on your Wireless options until you give a model number.
And likely one of the other posters here will have a better answer, because
I'm pretty weak on wireless tech.

Paul

- Bobb -

Sorry about that. Model info:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...SCH-I800BKAVZW

Connectivity
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

USB 2.0 Universal Serial Bus. Common hardware interface standard for
connecting peripherals to a computer.

Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity Short range wireless technology that
enables fixed and mobile devices to exchange data. EDR is high-speed.

================

> Any way to have a phone/tablet use a PC's broadband network for
> mail/internet when not in cell phone range ? I have a Samsung tab and

can
> share ITS connection, but how to do it in reverse ?

To make this more fun, you should have provided the exact model number of
the Samsung machine, so we can get some specs.

Jeff Strickland

news:j7afoh$rf9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry about that. Model info:
> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...SCH-I800BKAVZW
>
> Connectivity
> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

Here's the answer. WiFi.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> news:j7afoh$rf9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry about that. Model info:
>> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...SCH-I800BKAVZW
>>
>> Connectivity
>> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
>>

> Here's the answer. WiFi.

That's likely to be the least painful way.

*******
Network

Frequencies and Data Type CDMA 800/1900

Connectivity

WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
USB USB 2.0
Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity EDR
*******

The "CDMA" thing, is how the tablet would connect to Verizon or ATT
or the like, directly. Some of those kinds of services, have relatively
low data caps, which is why you might want to try other options.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_di...ultiple_access

For Wifi, you'd want the broadband modem/router already in your
house, to have a Wifi option. Then, it's a matter of setting
up the Tablet, to use Wifi instead of CDMA (which could be easy
or it could be hard, depending on who's been modifying the tablet).

Bluetooth, would require a Bluetooth interface on some other computing
device. It's possible for Bluetooth to set up a "Personal Area Network"
or PAN, which allows like-minded computers to talk to one another at
low rates, when they're a few feet from one another. You'd check the
user manual, to see whether setting up a PAN is at all possible. Sometimes,
the intention of the Bluetooth, is for setting up Bluetooth headphones,
more than anything else.

Finally, if a person got really really desperate, using a USB to LAN
adapter is another thing you could try. The question would be,
whether the Android OS is prepared to "entertain" such hardware
or not. It might simply choose to ignore it. If it worked, you
could just run an Ethernet wire from one of these, to the router.

You can see in the review section for this USB2 to LAN adapter, the
reviews are full of "driver issues" and "crashes". And seeing as you
want to use it on Android, what are the odds a driver exists for it ?
Maybe this would be in the "glutton for punishment" category, pay $20
or so, and be "endlessly entertained with problems". You would have to
select one of these, particularly carefully... Stick with Wifi to start.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-N...8631351&sr=8-1

Companies that make LAN networking components, do a lot of work to make
drivers for their products. LAN chips have some of the most extensive
coverage of OSes, of all hardware you can buy. But still, expecting
an Android driver, would be expecting a lot. It would be less of an
issue, if the USB2 to LAN thing was standardized enough to just
"work out of the box" with a USB Class (OS provided) driver.

(This is an example of how the USB standards people, try to make
USB to LAN work in a standards based way... But that doesn't guarantee
that every OS has built-in support. It takes a long time, if ever,
to get built-in drivers for this stuff.)

http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla.../CDC_EEM10.pdf

Paul

Jeff Strickland

news:j7ajjj$fvh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:j7afoh$rf9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry about that. Model info:
>>> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...SCH-I800BKAVZW
>>>
>>> Connectivity
>>> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
>>>

>> Here's the answer. WiFi.

> That's likely to be the least painful way.
>
> *******
> Network
>
> Frequencies and Data Type CDMA 800/1900
>
> Connectivity
>
> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
> USB USB 2.0
> Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity EDR
> *******
>
> The "CDMA" thing, is how the tablet would connect to Verizon or ATT
> or the like, directly. Some of those kinds of services, have relatively
> low data caps, which is why you might want to try other options.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_di...ultiple_access
>
> For Wifi, you'd want the broadband modem/router already in your
> house, to have a Wifi option. Then, it's a matter of setting
> up the Tablet, to use Wifi instead of CDMA (which could be easy
> or it could be hard, depending on who's been modifying the tablet).

I thought the question was, how to connect when cell is out of range. I'm
not sure how that could ever happen and still have WiFi, but if there is
WiFi, then that is how to connect. All one needs is a wireless router, the
tablet already has the wireless receiver -- that's what WiFi is. Buy the
router, unplug the computer from the CAT5 connection and plug that into the
goes-into port of the router. Select any of the goes-out-of ports and
connect a CAT5 from there to the computer where the first CAT5 came from.
Now, set up the router, and now connect with the tablet.

None of the other stuff matters...