Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Dennis Ritchie Has Died

Dennis Ritchie Has Died

Joe Pfeiffer

Weifu <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Sad. C is not used so much now, but once I needed, it never fails me. Thanks DMR. RIP.

You may be in an environment where one of the newer languages (C++, java,
perl, python, php...) is used, but over all C is still used a *lot*.
Each of the languages I just named as examples are implemented in it...

Joe Pfeiffer

superpollo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Bradley K. Sherman ha scritto:
>>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
>>> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
>>> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
>>> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
>>> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
>>> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
>>> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

>> --bks
>>

> sad news indeed. but why "has died" and not "is dead" ?
>
> not a native speaker...
>
> bye

"is dead" describes the current state, "has died" describes the event.
So, this phrasing is used to express a feeling about his dying as a
recent event.

Jens Thoms Toerring

Noob <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Anoop Kammaran wrote:

> > Come on!!!

> http://catb.org/jargon/html/Y/YHBT.html

I'm rather sure it's meant as a quite funny reference to

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5ede5dc776f39d

which, in turn, referes to

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4a678c9?hl=en#
Regards, Jens

army1987

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:12:30 -0400, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
>> his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C
>> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he
>> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
>> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
>> the UNIX. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
>> 1988.

> --bks

May he rest in peace.

--
Vuolsi così colÃ* dove si puote
ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare.

Thomas David Rivers

Kenneth Brody wrote:

> On 10/14/2011 12:17 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> Weifu<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Sad. C is not used so much now, but once I needed, it never fails
>>> me. Thanks DMR. RIP.

>> You may be in an environment where one of the newer languages (C++,
>> java,
>> perl, python, php...) is used, but over all C is still used a *lot*.
>> Each of the languages I just named as examples are implemented in it...

> Well, "mainstream" media is finally picking up the story.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/i...bit-bell-labs/
>

> ==========
>
>> "Dennis Ritchie: The shoulders Steve Jobs stood on"
>>
>> The tributes to Dennis Ritchie won't match the river of praise that
>> spilled
>> out over the web after the death of Steve Jobs. But they should.
>>
>> And then some.
>>
>> "When Steve Jobs died last week, there was a huge outcry, and that
>> was very
>> moving and justified. But Dennis had a bigger effect, and the public
>> doesn't
>> even know who he is," says Rob Pike, the programming legend and current
>> Googler who spent 20 years working across the hall from Ritchie at
>> the famed
>> Bell Labs.

> [...]
> ==========

Very nice article indeed...

- Dave Rivers -

--
(E-Mail Removed) Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com

spinoza1111

On Oct 14, 12:37*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:
> In article <j773q8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> tea strainer *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
> >over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
> >to give you a better answer to your question.

> Well done! *Applause, applause.
>
> --
> But the Bush apologists hope that you won't remember all that. And they
> also have a theory, which I've been hearing more and more - namely,
> that President Obama, though not yet in office or even elected, caused the
> 2008 slump. You see, people were worried in advance about his future
> policies, and that's what caused the economy to tank. Seriously.
>
> * * (Paul Krugman - Addicted to Bush)

Hi Kenny...just dropped by to commemorate Dennis' death since I have a
show today and later I'm joining a Hong Kong demonstration in support
of #occupywallstreet. I see where the Focus Nazis still are without
shame. Give my regards to Heathfield and Seebach.

spinoza1111

On Oct 15, 12:12*am, superpollo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bradley K. Sherman ha scritto:
>
> >> Sad news. *Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
> >> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. *Ritchie
> >> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
> >> to Unix. *In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
> >> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
> >> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. *He was
> >> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

> > * * --bks

> sad news indeed. but why "has died" and not "is dead" ?
>
> not a native speaker...
>
> bye

The present perfect represents events that have "just occured". In
your example, the predicate adjective has an identical meaning.

In this connection note an oddity: that "to be born" has no active
voice and "to die" no passive. As Shakespeare observed, we come crying
hither to this great stage of fools, borne by she who bears, and
although as Shakespeare also observed, we must endure our going hence,
the language has us dying as an act. We may die, we might be killed,
but we may not "be died".

Or, as David Mamet in collaboration with Quentin Tarantino might have
written:

She: Who the **** is Zed?
He: Zed's ****ing dead, baby, Zed's dead.

Replacing that team with Joseph Conrad and TS Eliot we obtain:

Mistah Kurtz he dead

Bradley K. Sherman

More from Rob Pike:

| I was warmly surprised to see how many people responded to
| my Google+ post about Dennis Ritchie's untimely passing.
| His influence on the technical community was vast, and it's
| gratifying to see it recognized. When Steve Jobs died there
| was a wide lament - and well-deserved it was - but it's
| worth noting that the resurgence of Apple depended a great
| deal on Dennis's work with C and Unix.
|
| The C programming language is quite old now, but still
| active and still very much in use. The Unix and Linux (and
| Mac OS X and I think even Windows) kernels are all C
| programs. The web browsers and major web servers are all in
| C or C++, and almost all of the rest of the Internet
| ecosystem is in C or a C-derived language (C++, Java), or a
| language whose implementation is in C or a C-derived
| language (Python, Ruby, etc.). C is also a common
| implementation language for network firmware. And on and on.
|
| And that's just C.
|
| Dennis was also half of the team that created Unix (the
| other half being Ken Thompson), which in some form or other
| (I include Linux) runs all the machines at Google's data
| centers and probably at most other server farms. Most web
| servers run above Unix kernels; most non-Microsoft web
| browsers run above Unix kernels in some form, even in many
| phones.
|
| And speaking of phones, the software that runs the phone
| network is largely written in C.
|
| But wait, there's more.
<https://plus.google.com/101960720994009339267/posts#101960720994009339267/posts/33mmANQZDtY>

--bks

luser- -droog

On Oct 14, 11:35*pm, spinoza1111 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<an eloquent testimonial of the anguish shared among even trolls>