Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nion D5000 - how to make the focus STAY on center point focus

Nion D5000 - how to make the focus STAY on center point focus

U vigilance

If you have a Nikon D5000, can you tell me HOW you make the focus REMAIN
on center point focus?

In the manual, it simply says to set it to single point; but when I shut
down the camera and start it back up, the settings are lost.

How do you make the center point focus stick on the Nikon D5000?

tony cooper

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:00:40 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-10-11 19:58:10 -0700, U vigilance <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> If you have a Nikon D5000, can you tell me HOW you make the focus REMAIN
>> on center point focus?
>>
>> In the manual, it simply says to set it to single point; but when I shut
>> down the camera and start it back up, the settings are lost.
>>
>> How do you make the center point focus stick on the Nikon D5000?

>I use a D300s, but after checking the D5000 manual and my knowledge of
>Nikon customizing conventions, I suspect you will need to select
>"Single point" AF-area "Normal" mode from the information display.
>Usually you will want AF-A or AF-S, not AF-C.
>You should also be able to make this selection from the Customs settings menu.
>With the D5000, if you change shooting mode from P, S, A, or M the
>AF-area mode will be reset.
>
>I have looked through the D5000 manual and I cannot find a feature I
>have on the D300s for easily re-centering the AF focus point which
>might or might not be on your camera. With the D300s I can press the
>center of the "multi-selector" (usually marked "OK") on the back of the
>camera to quickly recenter any off center AF focus point. This might
>also be in effect for your D5000.
>
>Otherwise somebody more familiar with the D5000 might have a workable
>solution for you.

If it's like my D60, there's no way to "hold" the focus point between
changes. Both the focus point bracketed area and the area mode
(closest subject, dynamic area, single point) will or can change any
time the camera is turned off or the camera is changed from one
setting to another (ie: Aperture to Shutter).

I'd prefer my camera always default to the single point setting, but
it doesn't.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida