Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy

A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy

David J Taylor

A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:j70lje$ntj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> Now, there's a sensor that'd give me a bit of room to crop ...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Might need 64-bit versions of your software though, and I wouldn't fancy
carrying the lenses around!

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:j70n74$v6m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:j70lje$ntj$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Now, there's a sensor that'd give me a bit of room to crop ...
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley

>> Might need 64-bit versions of your software though, and I wouldn't
>> fancy carrying the lenses around!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> But, hey, just think how sharp those 8 x 10s are gonna turn out ...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

LOL!

David

RichA

On Oct 11, 1:52*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>
> *http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>
> Cheers,
> David

That company has really taken aerospace (land and sky) by storm, they
seem to be part of every military and space requirement for CCDs.

(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>
> *http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>
> Cheers,
> David

Whew! "Gaia" For a minute I thought it was another one of those
misguided NASA missions to study C02 or some Earth-bound phenomena.
Nice to see NASA looking up, instead of down for a change.

Irwell

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 05:15:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

> On Oct 11, 1:52*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>>
>> *http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> Whew! "Gaia" For a minute I thought it was another one of those
> misguided NASA missions to study C02 or some Earth-bound phenomena.
> Nice to see NASA looking up, instead of down for a change.

Had to find that word for a crossword puzzle a few weeks ago.
Summat to do with the Greek Earth goddess

stbm@stbm.com

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>
>Cheers,
>David

My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
this one. Something to be proud of!

David J Taylor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
>>
>>Cheers,
>>David

> My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
> this one. Something to be proud of!

Yes, indeed, quite a few areas where we in the UK do very well, if
quietly. One of the E2V folk posts here from time to time as well and
it's always interesting to read his posts.

Cheers,
David

RichA

On Oct 11, 1:10*pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:

> >> *http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383

> >>Cheers,
> >>David

> > My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
> > this one. Something to be proud of!

> Yes, indeed, quite a few areas where we in the UK do very well, if
> quietly. *One of the E2V folk posts here from time to time as well and
> it's always interesting to read his posts.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I wonder what they do with the rejected units? Unlikely they'd
tolerate the kind of pixel death you see in say a lower-end Nikon APS
sensor.

David Ruether

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
3ccf7b79-93a6-491e-84fc-9f97de490adc...oglegroups.com:

> I wonder what they do with the rejected units? Unlikely they'd
> tolerate the kind of pixel death you see in say a lower-end Nikon APS
> sensor.

Aw, they just name the stuck pixels as if they were stars...! 8^)
--DR