Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fujifilm confirms mirrorless CSC for 2012

Fujifilm confirms mirrorless CSC for 2012

Bruce

from Amateur Photographer (UK) magazine:

"Fujifilm will launch a compact system camera in the UK in the 'first
half of 2012' as part of its premium-level X-series, rejecting the
Micro Four Thirds format.

The mirrorless camera will be aimed at the higher-end user seeking an
'out-and-out performance product', AP understands.

Fuji's fixed-lens X100, launched earlier this year, carries an
APS-C-sized imaging sensor measuring 23.6x15.8mm.

The news follows the unveiling of an X-series 'roadmap' by Fujifilm
president Shigetaka Komori during a press conference in Tokyo, Japan
earlier this week.

Fuji remains tight-lipped on specs, a launch date and pricing."

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6chdd7j
or:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_309901.html

Canon next?

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> from Amateur Photographer (UK) magazine:
>>
>> "Fujifilm will launch a compact system camera in the UK in the 'first
>> half of 2012' as part of its premium-level X-series, rejecting the
>> Micro Four Thirds format.
>>
>> The mirrorless camera will be aimed at the higher-end user seeking an
>> 'out-and-out performance product', AP understands.
>>
>> Fuji's fixed-lens X100, launched earlier this year, carries an
>> APS-C-sized imaging sensor measuring 23.6x15.8mm.
>>
>> The news follows the unveiling of an X-series 'roadmap' by Fujifilm
>> president Shigetaka Komori during a press conference in Tokyo, Japan
>> earlier this week.
>>
>> Fuji remains tight-lipped on specs, a launch date and pricing."
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/6chdd7j
>> or:
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ms_Xseries_sys
>> tem_camera_UK_launch_update_news_309901.html
>>
>> Canon next?
>>

>It's going to be exciting. Like a Leica S2 but without a mirror. If it
>comes in at under $3000 it'll be a miracle.

My guess is that it will be slightly less exciting than that. It will
be like an X100 but with interchangeable lenses and a Sony 16 MP APS-C
sensor as in the NEX-7, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5.

I doubt that Sony will want to sell their 24 MP sensor to anyone else
but Nikon just yet.

RichA

On Oct 11, 5:25*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> >> from Amateur Photographer (UK) magazine:

> >> "Fujifilm will launch a compact system camera in the UK in the 'first
> >> half of 2012' as part of its premium-level X-series, rejecting the
> >> Micro Four Thirds format.

> >> The mirrorless camera will be aimed at the higher-end user seeking an
> >> 'out-and-out performance product', AP understands.

> >> Fuji's fixed-lens X100, launched earlier this year, carries an
> >> APS-C-sized imaging sensor measuring 23.6x15.8mm.

> >> The news follows the unveiling of an X-series 'roadmap' by Fujifilm
> >> president Shigetaka Komori during a press conference in Tokyo, Japan
> >> earlier this week.

> >> Fuji remains tight-lipped on specs, a launch date and pricing."

> >>http://preview.tinyurl.com/6chdd7j
> >> or:
> >>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ms_Xseries_sys
> >> tem_camera_UK_launch_update_news_309901.html

> >> Canon next?

> >It's going to be exciting. *Like a Leica S2 but without a mirror. *If it
> >comes in at under $3000 it'll be a miracle.

> My guess is that it will be slightly less exciting than that. *It will
> be like an X100 but with interchangeable lenses and a Sony 16 MP APS-C
> sensor as in the NEX-7, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5. *
>
> I doubt that Sony will want to sell their 24 MP sensor to anyone else
> but Nikon just yet.

But does this mean they are perhaps going beyond 35mm size? Also,
have they divested themselves completely of Nikon's technology, their
mounting system, etc?

Dpreview:

Meanwhile, company president and CEO Shigetaka Komori said it will
create a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera built around a larger
sensor with ‘resolution and low noise [that] will surpass the 35mm
full size sensor.’

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>But does this mean they are perhaps going beyond 35mm size? Also,
>have they divested themselves completely of Nikon's technology, their
>mounting system, etc?
>
>Dpreview:
>
>Meanwhile, company president and CEO Shigetaka Komori said it will
>create a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera built around a larger
>sensor with ‘resolution and low noise [that] will surpass the 35mm
>full size sensor.’

I think something has been lost in translation. I was at Fujifilm UK
this afternoon to discuss some equipment, and had a quick word with
one of the sales team: There had been several phone calls about
Komoris' statement, and what Komori said had been taken out of
context.

The context was: Komori was explaining that Fujifilm had rejected
joining Micro Four Thirds and that they had decided to use "a larger
sensor". That means *larger than Four Thirds*.

Komori went on to say that the sensor's resolution and performance
would surpass those of some 35mm full frame sensors.

So the sensor will be larger than Four Thirds and will outresolve and
outperform some full frame sensors. But there is no intention to make
a sensor that is larger than 35mm full frame, so don't get excited!

My guess is that the sensor will be APS-C. Fujifilm UK could not
confirm that, but they seemed quite keen for me to know that they were
not denying it either. The claims of greater resolution and
performance suggests a Fujifilm-designed sensor, possibly EXR or some
other iteration from the SR Pro sensor, giving a much needed fillip to
dynamic range.

This is an exciting time for Fujifilm. The X100 continues to break
sales records and there were suggestions today that it has sold almost
10 times faster than expected, with production being ramped up several
times to meet demand. The success of the X100 is what made Fujifilm
decide to go ahead with a high quality mirrorless CSC.

Among CSCs, the Sony NEX-7 will still be the one to beat, but I expect
the Fujifilm CSC to be distinctly different. My guess is that it will
be something approximating to a digital version of the Contax G2 film
camera, with a similar position in the market. The X100 body is made
by the same subcontractor that made the Contax G1/G2, the Konica Hexar
AF and RF and the Hasselblad XPan.

PeterN

On 10/10/2011 9:28 PM, Rich wrote:
> Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> from Amateur Photographer (UK) magazine:
>>
>> "Fujifilm will launch a compact system camera in the UK in the 'first
>> half of 2012' as part of its premium-level X-series, rejecting the
>> Micro Four Thirds format.
>>
>> The mirrorless camera will be aimed at the higher-end user seeking an
>> 'out-and-out performance product', AP understands.
>>
>> Fuji's fixed-lens X100, launched earlier this year, carries an
>> APS-C-sized imaging sensor measuring 23.6x15.8mm.
>>
>> The news follows the unveiling of an X-series 'roadmap' by Fujifilm
>> president Shigetaka Komori during a press conference in Tokyo, Japan
>> earlier this week.
>>
>> Fuji remains tight-lipped on specs, a launch date and pricing."
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/6chdd7j
>> or:
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ms_Xseries_sys
>> tem_camera_UK_launch_update_news_309901.html
>>
>> Canon next?
>>

> It's going to be exciting. Like a Leica S2 but without a mirror. If it
> comes in at under $3000 it'll be a miracle.

Amazing. You know the specs, and performance. Tell us: as the Oracle of
Delphi, what else do you predict?

--
Peter

John Turco

Rich wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> It's going to be exciting. Like a Leica S2 but without a mirror. If it
> comes in at under $3000 it'll be a miracle.

Will it be delicious and have a cherry on top, as with Fuji's pseudo range
finder digicams?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>