Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Shortages of ED glass coming?

Re: Shortages of ED glass coming?

PeterN

On 10/7/2011 4:52 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-10-06 20:33:40 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:48:47 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Only two companies now make fluorite, thanks to greenie kooks in Europe.
>>> Rare earths, essential for making ED glass, is 97% provided by China,
>>> and
>>> they apparently can consume most of it themselves. This could produce a
>>> problem for any company producing lenses outside China. It may force the
>>> last lens production of quality out of Japan and into China. In the
>>> interim, expect price increases, it's likely what is responsible for
>>> some
>>> of the huge increases we've seen in new versions of lenses from Nikon
>>> and
>>> Canon.

>> Fear not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorite
>>
>> "Fluorite is a widely occurring mineral which is found in large
>> deposits in many areas. Notable deposits occur in China, Germany,
>> Austria, Switzerland, England, Norway, Mexico, and both the
>> Province of Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Large
>> deposits also occur in Kenya in the Kerio Valley area within the
>> Great Rift Valley. In the United States, deposits are found in
>> Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois, Kentucky, Colorado, New Mexico,
>> Arizona, Ohio, New Hampshire, New York, Alaska, and Texas. Fluorite
>> has been the state mineral of Illinois since 1965. At that time,
>> Illinois was the largest producer of fluorite in the United States,
>> but the last fluorite mine in Illinois was closed in 1995.[7]
>>
>> The world reserves of fluorite are estimated at 230 million tonnes
>> (Mt) with the largest deposits being in South Africa (about 41 Mt),
>> Mexico (32 Mt) and China (24 Mt). China is leading the world
>> production with about 3 Mt annually (in 2010), followed by Mexico
>> (1.0 Mt), Mongolia (0.45 Mt), Russia (0.22 Mt), South Africa (0.13
>> Mt), Spain (0.12 Mt) and Namibia (0.11 Mt)."
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Eric Stevens

> Facts! Rich don't need no steenkin' facts!!

On second thought, business spends millions of dollars in consulting
fees, for just the type of business analysis Rich gives us free. He
obviously doesn't want to disclose his algorithms.

--
Peter

RichA

On Oct 7, 10:36*am, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:52 AM, Savageduck wrote:

> >> Fear not.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorite

> >> "Fluorite is a widely occurring mineral which is found in large
> >> deposits in many areas. Notable deposits occur in China, Germany,
> >> Austria, Switzerland, England, Norway, Mexico, and both the
> >> Province of Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Large
> >> deposits also occur in Kenya in the Kerio Valley area within the
> >> Great Rift Valley. In the United States, deposits are found in
> >> Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois, Kentucky, Colorado, New Mexico,
> >> Arizona, Ohio, New Hampshire, New York, Alaska, and Texas. Fluorite
> >> has been the state mineral of Illinois since 1965. At that time,
> >> Illinois was the largest producer of fluorite in the United States,
> >> but the last fluorite mine in Illinois was closed in 1995.[7]

> >> The world reserves of fluorite are estimated at 230 million tonnes
> >> (Mt) with the largest deposits being in South Africa (about 41 Mt),
> >> Mexico (32 Mt) and China (24 Mt). China is leading the world
> >> production with about 3 Mt annually (in 2010), followed by Mexico
> >> (1.0 Mt), Mongolia (0.45 Mt), Russia (0.22 Mt), South Africa (0.13
> >> Mt), Spain (0.12 Mt) and Namibia (0.11 Mt)."

> >> Regards,

> >> Eric Stevens

> > Facts! Rich don't need no steenkin' facts!!

> On second thought, business spends millions of dollars in consulting
> fees, for just the type of business analysis Rich gives us free. He
> obviously doesn't want to disclose his algorithms.
>
> --
> Peter

I found this:

SPIE Professional October 2011
Optics firms see continuing shortage of rare-earth materials
The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
already short supply chains were reduced this summer.
By Alison Jones

Periodic Table

The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
already short supply chains were reduced this summer. Consequently,
prices for rare-earth materials have increased dramatically, further
impacting the optics and photonics industry, which depends on 15 of
the 17 rare-earth elements and was already suffering from insufficient
materials to meet demand.

For example, JENOPTIK Optical Systems, an SPIE corporate member with
U.S. manufacturing facilities in Massachusetts, Florida, and Alabama,
has seen a 16-fold increase in the price of a cerium oxide, a glass
polishing compound that is crucial to its business. This has resulted
in increased costs, decreased profit margins, and an ever-growing
challenge to remain globally competitive.

"Long term, I believe that increasing glass costs will 'shrink' the
glass map and force us to find new ways to achieve the performance
required by our customers without using anomalous partial-dispersion
glasses," said JENOPTIK President Jay Kumler, a member of the SPIE
Board of Directors.

China currently mines 94% of the world's rare-earth elements, but that
nation has imposed quotas to limit exports of the materials, leading
to the supply shortage and increased costs.

As an example of how governments are attempting to address the crisis,
the U.S. Congress recently included language related to rare earths in
the FY 2012 National Defense Authorization bill (H.R. 1540) that
passed the House Armed Services Committee in May but has not yet been
approved by the Senate. The provision would require the Defense
Logistics Agency Strategic Materials Center to begin developing a plan
to maintain a domestic supply chain that is competitive and multi-
sourced. This comes as the shortage has impacted key defense
applications including precision optics.

Some countries, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia, have
also started strategic efforts to reopen mines. Those efforts,
however, are not expected to have a significant impact for three
years.

Have a question or comment about this article? Write to us at

PeterN

On 10/7/2011 2:05 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Oct 7, 10:36 am, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Facts! Rich don't need no steenkin' facts!!

>> On second thought, business spends millions of dollars in consulting
>> fees, for just the type of business analysis Rich gives us free. He
>> obviously doesn't want to disclose his algorithms.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> I found this:
>
> SPIE Professional October 2011
> Optics firms see continuing shortage of rare-earth materials
> The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
> already short supply chains were reduced this summer.
> By Alison Jones
>
> Periodic Table
>
> The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
> already short supply chains were reduced this summer. Consequently,
> prices for rare-earth materials have increased dramatically, further
> impacting the optics and photonics industry, which depends on 15 of
> the 17 rare-earth elements and was already suffering from insufficient
> materials to meet demand.
>
> For example, JENOPTIK Optical Systems, an SPIE corporate member with
> U.S. manufacturing facilities in Massachusetts, Florida, and Alabama,
> has seen a 16-fold increase in the price of a cerium oxide, a glass
> polishing compound that is crucial to its business. This has resulted
> in increased costs, decreased profit margins, and an ever-growing
> challenge to remain globally competitive.
>
> "Long term, I believe that increasing glass costs will 'shrink' the
> glass map and force us to find new ways to achieve the performance
> required by our customers without using anomalous partial-dispersion
> glasses," said JENOPTIK President Jay Kumler, a member of the SPIE
> Board of Directors.
>
> China currently mines 94% of the world's rare-earth elements, but that
> nation has imposed quotas to limit exports of the materials, leading
> to the supply shortage and increased costs.
>
> As an example of how governments are attempting to address the crisis,
> the U.S. Congress recently included language related to rare earths in
> the FY 2012 National Defense Authorization bill (H.R. 1540) that
> passed the House Armed Services Committee in May but has not yet been
> approved by the Senate. The provision would require the Defense
> Logistics Agency Strategic Materials Center to begin developing a plan
> to maintain a domestic supply chain that is competitive and multi-
> sourced. This comes as the shortage has impacted key defense
> applications including precision optics.
>
> Some countries, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia, have
> also started strategic efforts to reopen mines. Those efforts,
> however, are not expected to have a significant impact for three
> years.
>
> Have a question or comment about this article? Write to us at
> (E-Mail Removed).

I stand by my statement. What are you qualifications. If a normal person
wanted to start a discussion he would start by stating In this article

But you decided to state it as a fact. You can bet the ranch that I
would not rely on any one article if I was investing in rare earth
futures. It so happens that the only futures I would play with is
coffee, because I have some basic understanding of that market. And I
certainly would not share that kind of analysis without adequate
compensation. If you truly understand the rare earth markets, you have
never demonstrated any such knowledge.

And no I am not about to research the issue, as I am far more interested
in improving my photography, than if the price of a piece of glass I may
want in the future goes up by a thousand dollars, or two.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/7/2011 11:41 PM, Rich wrote:
> PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4e8f47cf$0$31092$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

>>> I found this:
>>>
>>> SPIE Professional October 2011
>>> Optics firms see continuing shortage of rare-earth materials
>>> The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
>>> already short supply chains were reduced this summer.
>>> By Alison Jones
>>>
>>> Periodic Table
>>>
>>> The shortage of rare-earth materials is becoming increasingly dire as
>>> already short supply chains were reduced this summer. Consequently,
>>> prices for rare-earth materials have increased dramatically, further
>>> impacting the optics and photonics industry, which depends on 15 of
>>> the 17 rare-earth elements and was already suffering from
>>> insufficient materials to meet demand.
>>>
>>> For example, JENOPTIK Optical Systems, an SPIE corporate member with
>>> U.S. manufacturing facilities in Massachusetts, Florida, and Alabama,
>>> has seen a 16-fold increase in the price of a cerium oxide, a glass
>>> polishing compound that is crucial to its business. This has resulted
>>> in increased costs, decreased profit margins, and an ever-growing
>>> challenge to remain globally competitive.
>>>
>>> "Long term, I believe that increasing glass costs will 'shrink' the
>>> glass map and force us to find new ways to achieve the performance
>>> required by our customers without using anomalous partial-dispersion
>>> glasses," said JENOPTIK President Jay Kumler, a member of the SPIE
>>> Board of Directors.
>>>
>>> China currently mines 94% of the world's rare-earth elements, but
>>> that nation has imposed quotas to limit exports of the materials,
>>> leading to the supply shortage and increased costs.
>>>
>>> As an example of how governments are attempting to address the
>>> crisis, the U.S. Congress recently included language related to rare
>>> earths in the FY 2012 National Defense Authorization bill (H.R. 1540)
>>> that passed the House Armed Services Committee in May but has not yet
>>> been approved by the Senate. The provision would require the Defense
>>> Logistics Agency Strategic Materials Center to begin developing a
>>> plan to maintain a domestic supply chain that is competitive and
>>> multi- sourced. This comes as the shortage has impacted key defense
>>> applications including precision optics.
>>>
>>> Some countries, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia,
>>> have also started strategic efforts to reopen mines. Those efforts,
>>> however, are not expected to have a significant impact for three
>>> years.
>>>
>>> Have a question or comment about this article? Write to us at
>>> (E-Mail Removed).

>> I stand by my statement. What are you qualifications. If a normal
>> person wanted to start a discussion he would start by stating In this

> Even faced with iron-clad proof, you persist in your obtuse and stupid
> behaviour.

The Merrimack was ironclad and lies at the bottom of a tidal basin.

Tell me where the article talks about fluorite?

Now tell us YOUR qualifications.

--
Peter