Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I will say one thing positive about Apple

Reply
Thread Tools

I will say one thing positive about Apple

 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2011
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:30:59 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 10/7/2011 11:00 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 05:38:17 -0700 (PDT), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : If the U.S. post office wanted to pull itself out of it's debt-ridden
: > : morass, it would start competing with the couriers in a big way. Canada's
: > : does and they make money as a private corporation. Plus, it would end
: > : certain disgusting courier scams like charging brokerage fees at the
: > : destination for cross-border shipping.
: >
: > It might not work as well as you imagine. The U.S. has tough laws against
: > using the mails to defraud, but those laws don't apply to private carriers.
: > So most scammers, phony charities, and other shady characters use private
: > carriers only. The Postal Service can't get that business, no matter how
: > hard they try.
: >
: > Bob
:
: Uhm!
: Read 13 usc 1341
:
: Mail fraud also applies to private interstate carriers. It would not
: apply to instate delivery carriers.

I'll take your word for that, since I know you're a lawyer (unlike most of the
jackasses who dispense legal advice on the Internet).

In our town we get a lot of phone calls from legitimate-sounding charities
asking for contributions. The way you can identify the phonies is that they
won't give you an address to which to send a check. Instead, they tell you
they'll send someone around to pick it up. If you say you're not going to be
home, they tell you to put the check in an envelope and tape it to your front
door.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Irwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-08-2011
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:59:26 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:30:59 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>: On 10/7/2011 11:00 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
>:> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 05:38:17 -0700 (PDT), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:> : If the U.S. post office wanted to pull itself out of it's debt-ridden
>:> : morass, it would start competing with the couriers in a big way. Canada's
>:> : does and they make money as a private corporation. Plus, it would end
>:> : certain disgusting courier scams like charging brokerage fees at the
>:> : destination for cross-border shipping.
>:>
>:> It might not work as well as you imagine. The U.S. has tough laws against
>:> using the mails to defraud, but those laws don't apply to private carriers.
>:> So most scammers, phony charities, and other shady characters use private
>:> carriers only. The Postal Service can't get that business, no matter how
>:> hard they try.
>:>
>:> Bob
>:
>: Uhm!
>: Read 13 usc 1341
>:
>: Mail fraud also applies to private interstate carriers. It would not
>: apply to instate delivery carriers.
>
> I'll take your word for that, since I know you're a lawyer (unlike most of the
> jackasses who dispense legal advice on the Internet).
>
> In our town we get a lot of phone calls from legitimate-sounding charities
> asking for contributions. The way you can identify the phonies is that they
> won't give you an address to which to send a check. Instead, they tell you
> they'll send someone around to pick it up. If you say you're not going to be
> home, they tell you to put the check in an envelope and tape it to your front
> door.
>
> Bob


I asked one for his phone number, he said they can't take incoming
calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2011
On 10/7/2011 5:59 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:30:59 -0400, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On 10/7/2011 11:00 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> :> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 05:38:17 -0700 (PDT), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :> : If the U.S. post office wanted to pull itself out of it's debt-ridden
> :> : morass, it would start competing with the couriers in a big way. Canada's
> :> : does and they make money as a private corporation. Plus, it would end
> :> : certain disgusting courier scams like charging brokerage fees at the
> :> : destination for cross-border shipping.
> :>
> :> It might not work as well as you imagine. The U.S. has tough laws against
> :> using the mails to defraud, but those laws don't apply to private carriers.
> :> So most scammers, phony charities, and other shady characters use private
> :> carriers only. The Postal Service can't get that business, no matter how
> :> hard they try.
> :>
> :> Bob
> :
> : Uhm!
> : Read 13 usc 1341
> :
> : Mail fraud also applies to private interstate carriers. It would not
> : apply to instate delivery carriers.
>
> I'll take your word for that, since I know you're a lawyer (unlike most of the
> jackasses who dispense legal advice on the Internet).
>
> In our town we get a lot of phone calls from legitimate-sounding charities
> asking for contributions. The way you can identify the phonies is that they
> won't give you an address to which to send a check. Instead, they tell you
> they'll send someone around to pick it up. If you say you're not going to be
> home, they tell you to put the check in an envelope and tape it to your front
> door.
>


IRS publishes a list of all qualified organizations.


<http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/>

You may also verify the information with the Secretary of State in your
State. The hucksters take advantage of people who are too lazy, or
trusting to check.



--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Fischer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2011
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. Amazon on the other
>hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the 1970's.
>They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a blatant
>disregard for the principal of free trade agreements. They do this to
>appease in-country distribution channels.


So you're a communist who has inside access to corporate marketing
decisions.

> The end result is they may


Kook

--
Ray Fischer | Mendocracy (n.) government by lying
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal

 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2011
On 10/9/2011 1:32 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. Amazon on the other
>>> hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the 1970's.
>>> They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a blatant
>>> disregard for the principal of free trade agreements. They do this
>>> to appease in-country distribution channels. The end result is they
>>> may offer the same product in other countries on their other sites,
>>> but at hugely inflated prices that do not reflect currency values.

>>
>> I have no problem buying electronics from China these days. Fantastic
>> range of goods, cheaper and likely better quality. Example: FPGA
>> programmers for ~US $10.

>
> That's been my experience with Chinese sellers on eBay. Shipping to the U.S.
> is not lightning fast (I suspect nearly all of the delay is at the U.S. end,
> customs), sometimes slower than others, but prices are great, quality is
> good, and the several sellers I've bought from have been scrupulously
> honest.
>
> I buy all of my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical in California. The glasses are
> made in China and shipped back to Zenni who mails them to me. Generally get
> 'em in less than two weeks from the time of my online order. Quality is
> fine, and prices are ridiculously low compared to any local optician.
>
> You just can't beat China for some of these things.
>


I happily pay a local optician for his ability to measure my varifocals.
I have heard horror stories about varifocals not working, but mine were
fine from day one.
With some glasses cheaper does work. However, I am willing to pay a few
bucks to help keep the small guy in business. If China decides to raise
prices after all the small guys are out of business, we will be in
deeper crap than now.
IMHO those who buy strictly on price are being short sighted.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2011
On Oct 9, 7:06*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/9/2011 1:32 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > David J Taylor wrote:
> >> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> >>> When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. *Amazon on the other
> >>> hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the 1970's.
> >>> They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a blatant
> >>> disregard for the principal of free trade agreements. *They do this
> >>> to appease in-country distribution channels. *The end result is they
> >>> may offer the same product in other countries on their other sites,
> >>> but at hugely inflated prices that do not reflect currency values.

>
> >> I have no problem buying electronics from China these days. *Fantastic
> >> range of goods, cheaper and likely better quality. *Example: FPGA
> >> programmers for ~US $10.

>
> > That's been my experience with Chinese sellers on eBay. Shipping to theU.S.
> > is not lightning fast (I suspect nearly all of the delay is at the U.S.end,
> > customs), sometimes slower than others, but prices are great, quality is
> > good, and the several sellers I've bought from have been scrupulously
> > honest.

>
> > I buy all of my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical in California. The glasses are
> > made in China and shipped back to Zenni who mails them to me. Generallyget
> > 'em in less than two weeks from the time of my online order. Quality is
> > fine, and prices are ridiculously low compared to any local optician.

>
> > You just can't beat China for some of these things.

>
> I happily pay a local optician for his ability to measure my varifocals.
> I have heard horror stories about varifocals not working, but mine were
> fine from day one.
> With some glasses cheaper does work. However, I am willing to pay a few
> bucks to help keep the small guy in business. If China decides to raise
> prices after all the small guys are out of business, we will be in
> deeper crap than now.
> IMHO those who buy strictly on price are being short sighted.


Was that 'pun' intended ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2011
On 10/10/2011 1:41 AM, Neil Harrington wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>> On 10/9/2011 1:32 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. Amazon on the
>>>>> other hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the
>>>>> 1970's. They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a
>>>>> blatant disregard for the principal of free trade agreements. They do
>>>>> this to appease in-country distribution channels. The end
>>>>> result is they may offer the same product in other countries on
>>>>> their other sites, but at hugely inflated prices that do not
>>>>> reflect currency values.
>>>>
>>>> I have no problem buying electronics from China these days. Fantastic
>>>> range of goods, cheaper and likely better quality. Example: FPGA
>>>> programmers for ~US $10.
>>>
>>> That's been my experience with Chinese sellers on eBay. Shipping to
>>> the U.S. is not lightning fast (I suspect nearly all of the delay is
>>> at the U.S. end, customs), sometimes slower than others, but prices
>>> are great, quality is good, and the several sellers I've bought from
>>> have been scrupulously honest.
>>>
>>> I buy all of my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical in California. The
>>> glasses are made in China and shipped back to Zenni who mails them
>>> to me. Generally get 'em in less than two weeks from the time of my
>>> online order. Quality is fine, and prices are ridiculously low
>>> compared to any local optician. You just can't beat China for some of
>>> these things.
>>>

>>
>> I happily pay a local optician for his ability to measure my
>> varifocals. I have heard horror stories about varifocals not working,

>
> Uh, "varifocals"? What are they? What does he measure?



Think of it as bifocals without lines, where depending on where my eye
looks through the glasses, I can were the same pair for distance,
reading and computer work. These of course must be properly fitted and
are not at all cheap.


>
>> but mine were fine from day one.
>> With some glasses cheaper does work. However, I am willing to pay a
>> few bucks to help keep the small guy in business.

>
> I did exactly that for decades -- an optician just down the street from me,
> working alone in his small store. He did good work, but never had the
> glasses ready on time. When I would call him to see if the glasses were
> ready yet, calling when he had said they'd be ready, they weren't. The main
> problem apparently was his one-man operation. When customers came in to ask
> about glasses, try them on, etc., he'd have to stop working on whatever
> glasses he was assembling. Then there were phone calls interrupting his
> work, some of them from me of course. Once he told me, "They'd probably be
> ready if you didn't keep calling." I pointed out that I only called at a
> time he had told me they'd be ready.
>
> And so on. Once I discovered Zenni Optical, all that was over with -- and
> prices were so low I could buy lots more pairs of glasses, trying different
> styles etc.
>
>> If China decides to
>> raise prices after all the small guys are out of business, we will be
>> in deeper crap than now.

>
> They would have to raise prices by a pretty steep multiple for that to make
> any difference to me. And don't forget Zenni is in competition themselves
> with *other* Chinese eyeglass makers. Their prices will always be
> competitive.
>
>> IMHO those who buy strictly on price are being short sighted.

>
> Not "strictly on price," but price, quality, choices and service all
> together.
>



I am only too happy to pay more, provided I get better quality and service.
--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2011
On 10/10/2011 8:23 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Oct 9, 7:06 pm, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 10/9/2011 1:32 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. Amazon on the other
>>>>> hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the 1970's.
>>>>> They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a blatant
>>>>> disregard for the principal of free trade agreements. They do this
>>>>> to appease in-country distribution channels. The end result is they
>>>>> may offer the same product in other countries on their other sites,
>>>>> but at hugely inflated prices that do not reflect currency values.

>>
>>>> I have no problem buying electronics from China these days. Fantastic
>>>> range of goods, cheaper and likely better quality. Example: FPGA
>>>> programmers for ~US $10.

>>
>>> That's been my experience with Chinese sellers on eBay. Shipping to the U.S.
>>> is not lightning fast (I suspect nearly all of the delay is at the U.S. end,
>>> customs), sometimes slower than others, but prices are great, quality is
>>> good, and the several sellers I've bought from have been scrupulously
>>> honest.

>>
>>> I buy all of my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical in California. The glasses are
>>> made in China and shipped back to Zenni who mails them to me. Generally get
>>> 'em in less than two weeks from the time of my online order. Quality is
>>> fine, and prices are ridiculously low compared to any local optician.

>>
>>> You just can't beat China for some of these things.

>>
>> I happily pay a local optician for his ability to measure my varifocals.
>> I have heard horror stories about varifocals not working, but mine were
>> fine from day one.
>> With some glasses cheaper does work. However, I am willing to pay a few
>> bucks to help keep the small guy in business. If China decides to raise
>> prices after all the small guys are out of business, we will be in
>> deeper crap than now.
>> IMHO those who buy strictly on price are being short sighted.

>
> Was that 'pun' intended ?
>
>
>

No

--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2011
On 10/12/2011 6:29 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 1:41 AM, Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> PeterN wrote:
>>>> On 10/9/2011 1:32 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
>>>>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>>>>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>> When it comes to distribution, they aren't scum. Amazon on the
>>>>>>> other hand, operates like an EU economy or something out of the
>>>>>>> 1970's. They refuse to ship electronics outside the U.S. in a
>>>>>>> blatant disregard for the principal of free trade agreements.
>>>>>>> They do this to appease in-country distribution channels. The
>>>>>>> end result is they may offer the same product in other countries on
>>>>>>> their other sites, but at hugely inflated prices that do not
>>>>>>> reflect currency values.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have no problem buying electronics from China these days.
>>>>>> Fantastic range of goods, cheaper and likely better quality.
>>>>>> Example: FPGA programmers for ~US $10.
>>>>>
>>>>> That's been my experience with Chinese sellers on eBay. Shipping to
>>>>> the U.S. is not lightning fast (I suspect nearly all of the delay
>>>>> is at the U.S. end, customs), sometimes slower than others, but
>>>>> prices are great, quality is good, and the several sellers I've
>>>>> bought from have been scrupulously honest.
>>>>>
>>>>> I buy all of my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical in California. The
>>>>> glasses are made in China and shipped back to Zenni who mails them
>>>>> to me. Generally get 'em in less than two weeks from the time of my
>>>>> online order. Quality is fine, and prices are ridiculously low
>>>>> compared to any local optician. You just can't beat China for some
>>>>> of these things.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I happily pay a local optician for his ability to measure my
>>>> varifocals. I have heard horror stories about varifocals not
>>>> working,
>>>
>>> Uh, "varifocals"? What are they? What does he measure?

>>
>>
>> Think of it as bifocals without lines, where depending on where my eye

>
> Yes, I realized later that you meant progressive lenses and mentioned that
> in my next reply.
>
>> looks through the glasses, I can were the same pair for distance,
>> reading and computer work. These of course must be properly fitted and
>> are not at all cheap.

>
> Any lenses must be properly fitted, but this is mainly a matter of setting
> the interpupillary distance and the height of the bifocal (or progressive)
> portion. This is not really complicated, even with progressives.
>
> Nor are progressives necessarily much more expensive than bifocals, with
> modern lens manufacturing techniques. The price difference *you* pay at your
> oculist's does not reflect actual manufacturing costs. At many large optical
> departments (e.g., the one attached to my ophthamologists' offices) the work
> isn't even done in their place, but is sent out to a lab. They only do the
> measurement and fitting.
>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>> but mine were fine from day one.
>>>> With some glasses cheaper does work. However, I am willing to pay a
>>>> few bucks to help keep the small guy in business.
>>>
>>> I did exactly that for decades -- an optician just down the street
>>> from me, working alone in his small store. He did good work, but
>>> never had the glasses ready on time. When I would call him to see if
>>> the glasses were ready yet, calling when he had said they'd be
>>> ready, they weren't. The main problem apparently was his one-man
>>> operation. When customers came in to ask about glasses, try them on,
>>> etc., he'd have to stop working on whatever glasses he was
>>> assembling. Then there were phone calls interrupting his work, some
>>> of them from me of course. Once he told me, "They'd probably be
>>> ready if you didn't keep calling." I pointed out that I only called
>>> at a time he had told me they'd be ready. And so on. Once I discovered
>>> Zenni Optical, all that was over with
>>> -- and prices were so low I could buy lots more pairs of glasses,
>>> trying different styles etc.
>>>
>>>> If China decides to
>>>> raise prices after all the small guys are out of business, we will
>>>> be in deeper crap than now.
>>>
>>> They would have to raise prices by a pretty steep multiple for that
>>> to make any difference to me. And don't forget Zenni is in
>>> competition themselves with *other* Chinese eyeglass makers. Their
>>> prices will always be competitive.
>>>
>>>> IMHO those who buy strictly on price are being short sighted.
>>>
>>> Not "strictly on price," but price, quality, choices and service all
>>> together.
>>>

>>
>>
>> I am only too happy to pay more, provided I get better quality and
>> service.

>
> Your oculist is even happier that you buy locally, to be sure.
>
>

True.
And I should mention that I used to play a lot of golf with his father.
However he is highly competent. I don't mind pay a little more for my
piece of mind.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
floor(positive double) vs trunc(positive double) different Hicham Mouline C Programming 2 04-23-2010 06:50 PM
You say SIM, I say SEM Anon Computer Security 1 03-18-2006 01:49 PM
one thing solved, but other terrible thing occur... Zam ASP General 1 03-14-2005 06:09 PM
elegant way to say "try this thing, one at a time, until conditionis met" David Garamond Ruby 21 06-01-2004 05:59 PM



Advertisments