Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Plastic versus metal camera and lens bodies

Plastic versus metal camera and lens bodies

RichA

I did the temperature test three times where you measure the temp of
the bodies and watch how fast they heat up in the sun. I wasn't sure
why. Then I came across an article on the state of production
lasers. Turns out, the old longer wavelength (IR) C02 lasers are
still preferred over (or haven't been displaced) by shorter wavelength
fiber and disk lasers because plastics and fabrics absorb more in the
longer wavelengths. So, now I know why leaving a plastic body/lens in
the sun results in them heating up faster and hotter than metal-bodied
units. I once measured the temperature of a plastic car dashboard in
direct sunlight. 160 F.

Charles

"RichA" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I did the temperature test three times where you measure the temp of
the bodies and watch how fast they heat up in the sun. I wasn't sure
why. Then I came across an article on the state of production
lasers. Turns out, the old longer wavelength (IR) C02 lasers are
still preferred over (or haven't been displaced) by shorter wavelength
fiber and disk lasers because plastics and fabrics absorb more in the
longer wavelengths. So, now I know why leaving a plastic body/lens in
the sun results in them heating up faster and hotter than metal-bodied
units. I once measured the temperature of a plastic car dashboard in
direct sunlight. 160 F.

http://jap.aip.org/resource/1/japiau...sAuthorized=no

You can rent the above article, and then read it, and then report back.
Costs less than two US bucks!

Seriously, why do you insist on blathering about topics that you clearly do
not understand?

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I did the temperature test three times where you measure the temp of
>the bodies and watch how fast they heat up in the sun.

And nobody cares.

> I wasn't sure
>why.

You're a loser with too much free time?

> Then I came across an article on the state of production
>lasers. Turns out, the old longer wavelength (IR) C02 lasers are
>still preferred over (or haven't been displaced) by shorter wavelength
>fiber and disk lasers because plastics and fabrics absorb more in the

Gesundheit.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal