Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Macro lens without image stabilization: foolish purchase?

Re: Macro lens without image stabilization: foolish purchase?

Robert Coe

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:53:56 -0400, don tuttle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I have a Canon EOS 550D and am considering the EFS 60mm F2.8 macro
: lens. It does not have image stabilization.
: How foolish is it to buy a macro lens without image stabilization?
: Thanks.
: Don

My wife has a version of that lens from three or four years ago and loves it.
She gets fine pictures with it on her T2i (which I believe is the same as a
550D). She's 70 years old, but has a steady grip; the lens's lack of IS hasn't
been a problem.

Bob

PeterN

On 10/2/2011 8:55 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:53:56 -0400, don tuttle<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : I have a Canon EOS 550D and am considering the EFS 60mm F2.8 macro
> : lens. It does not have image stabilization.
> : How foolish is it to buy a macro lens without image stabilization?
> : Thanks.
> : Don
>
> My wife has a version of that lens from three or four years ago and loves it.
> She gets fine pictures with it on her T2i (which I believe is the same as a
> 550D). She's 70 years old, but has a steady grip; the lens's lack of IS hasn't
> been a problem.
>
> Bob

I think I said this before, if so I apologize.

I turn of the stabilization for birds & other wildlife. (it seems to
lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.) And also for
landscapes and closeup, where I use a tripod and/or flash.

--
Peter

Wally

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:17:39 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I turn of the stabilization for birds & other wildlife. (it seems to
>lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.)

Why??

Wally

PeterN

On 10/2/2011 8:49 PM, Wally wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:17:39 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I turn of the stabilization for birds& other wildlife. (it seems to
>> lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.)

> Why??
>
> Wally

Thought I said why. The focus seems to lock faster. I shoot at a high
ISO in daylight. Some examples, hand held, VR turned off.

<http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/128639023>
or
<http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132946690>

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/4/2011 5:12 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:16:38 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/2011 8:49 PM, Wally wrote:

>>> Why??
>>>
>>> Wally

>> Thought I said why. The focus seems to lock faster. I shoot at a high
>> ISO in daylight. Some examples, hand held, VR turned off.
>>

>> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/128639023>
>> or
>> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132946690>

> It looks as though a masking error did something peculiar to the legs
> of the upper Heron.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Thanks, I never noticed that. I just looked at the image and see my
mistake. You have just illustrated the value of a critique.

--
Peter