Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Strange Bird

Strange Bird

tony cooper

I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.

It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.

The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
like it comes from the body.

The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
down and isn't seen again.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-1-X3.jpg

I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
Using Google Images, I don't see that anyone else did any better.
Here's link to a page in Field Guide for bird that has the same
problem. Also a female Anhinga, but with neck extended.

http://stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.co...e-anhinga.html

The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

me

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
>processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>
>It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
>just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>
>The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
>necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
>Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
>long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
>like it comes from the body.
>
>The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
>than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
>poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
>down and isn't seen again.
>
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-1-X3.jpg
>
>I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
>Using Google Images, I don't see that anyone else did any better.
>Here's link to a page in Field Guide for bird that has the same
>problem. Also a female Anhinga, but with neck extended.
>
>http://stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.co...e-anhinga.html
>
>The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
>really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Anhinga/id

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
: >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
: >
[...]

If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.

The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
Did you try toning that down?

Bob

tony cooper

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:51:29 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
>: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
>: >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>: >
>: >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
>: >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>: >
>: >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
>: >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
>: >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
>: >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
>: >like it comes from the body.
>: >
>: >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
>: >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
>: >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
>: >down and isn't seen again.
>: >
>: >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-1-X3.jpg
>: >
>: >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
>
>If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
>waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
>
>The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
>Did you try toning that down?

I didn't really want to. I'm not trying to make a good photograph out
of this. Once I saw the way the head looks pasted in, I stopped
processing. The head and neck just seem all out of proportion, and
that makes it funny enough - to me - to leave it alone.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
>> : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> :
>> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
>> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>> : >
>> : >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
>> : >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>> : >
>> : >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
>> : >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
>> : >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
>> : >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
>> : >like it comes from the body.
>> : >
>> : >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
>> : >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
>> : >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
>> : >down and isn't seen again.
>> : >
>> :
>> >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-1-X3.jpg

>:
>>

>> : >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
>>
>> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
>> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
>>
>> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
>> Did you try toning that down?
>>
>> Bob

>Did you shoot that as an NEF?

Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.

Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
high contrast and strange blue.

>I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
>blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.

There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
an ordinary snapshot.

As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 9/30/2011 6:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
>> : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> :
>> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
>> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>> : >
>> : >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
>> : >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>> : >
>> : >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
>> : >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
>> : >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
>> : >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
>> : >like it comes from the body.
>> : >
>> : >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
>> : >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
>> : >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
>> : >down and isn't seen again.
>> : >
>> :
>> >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-1-X3.jpg

> :
>>

>> : >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
>>
>> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be
>> somewhat
>> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
>>
>> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high
>> contrast level.
>> Did you try toning that down?
>>
>> Bob

> Did you shoot that as an NEF?
>
> I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
> blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
>
> You might be able to make some localized fixes in ACR.
>
> I have been trying some tweaking, and by fading the background "blue"
> and working with what detail is there it appears a little better, but
> the lack of detail in the body seems beyond recovery.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...irdComp_01.jpg >
>
> In hindsight it seems an ND grad and spot metering on the body might
> have got a better result.
> This might be a candidate for one of PeterN's abstract interpretations.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/TonyBird-2.jpg >

I have no idea why you say that.
Though I have at least one interpretation planned for the SI.
Be forewarned, do not look at it stoned.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 9/30/2011 9:29 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe<(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
>>> :<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> :
>>> :>I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
>>> :>processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>>> :>
>>> :>It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
>>> :>just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>>> :>
>>> :>The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
>>> :>necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
>>> :>Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
>>> :>long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
>>> :>like it comes from the body.
>>> :>
>>> :>The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
>>> :>than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
>>> :>poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
>>> :>down and isn't seen again.
>>> :>
>>> :

>> :
>>>

>>> :>I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
>>>
>>> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
>>> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
>>>
>>> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
>>> Did you try toning that down?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Did you shoot that as an NEF?
>>

> Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
> willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
> is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
> and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
> shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.
>
> Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
> high contrast and strange blue.
>
>> I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
>> blown highlights in the neck& face, with no shadow detail on the body.
>>

> There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
> Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
> detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
> just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
> an ordinary snapshot.
>
> As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
> see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

Birds do get into some humorous positions.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:29:50 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
:
: >On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
: >
: >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
: >> : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> :
: >> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
: >> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
: >> : >
[...]
: >:
: >>
: >> >
[...]

I can't speak for the Duck, but I was merely responding to your statement that
"I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body." I
certainly wasn't trying to hector you about your picture, and I didn't realize
there was a joke I was supposed to get.

Bob

tony cooper

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:07:01 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-09-30 18:29:50 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>:
>

>:

>>> Did you shoot that as an NEF?
>>>

>> Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
>> willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
>> is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
>> and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
>> shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.
>>
>> Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
>> high contrast and strange blue.
>>
>>> I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
>>> blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
>>>

>> There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
>> Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
>> detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
>> just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
>> an ordinary snapshot.
>>
>> As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
>> see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

>Oh! I can certainly see it from your point of view. I just didn't get
>that from your OP.
>...and I certainly have my share of snicker inducing images, which can
>surely be termed laughable.

When I said it looks like the "Worst Photoshop Job - Ever", it didn't
give you a clue?

--

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:04:34 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>: >blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
>: >
>:
>: There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
>: Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
>: detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
>: just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
>: an ordinary snapshot.
>:
>: As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
>: see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.
>
>I can't speak for the Duck, but I was merely responding to your statement that
>"I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body." I
>certainly wasn't trying to hector you about your picture, and I didn't realize

The disappointment was in the lens. It's a new 18-270 Tamron. First
day shooting it. That was assuaged somewhat by not being able to find
other Anhinga photos where the body feathers are discernable.

The lens seems to pick up enough detail at the high end, though.
Depth of field is a bit strange in the grass for f/6. I was shooting
Shutter at 1/1000 and ISO 400 just checking out the various
combinations and saw this duck.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...09-29-3-X3.jpg

Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
I've never seen an Anhinga up close.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida