Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Strange Bird

Strange Bird

Charles E. Hardwidge

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
> Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
> detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
> just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
> an ordinary snapshot.
>
> As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
> see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

You're on to something but maybe the issue is more to do with the way the
story is told that than the photo?

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

PeterN

On 9/30/2011 11:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snup>
> I thought that was a statement of personal opinion, not the lead up to a
> punchline. So as a joke it was completely wasted on me.
> I think it might have had something to do with the delivery.

That would be more likely with a stork, than an anhinga.

--
Peter

PeterN

They are all over the Glades.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/1/2011 7:19 AM, G Paleologopoulos wrote:
> "tony cooper" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> .................................................. .........
> The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
> really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.

What is "drivel" about sharing an image the OP thought unusual?

Certainly there has been a lot more OT junk posted, that you have not
objected to.

--
Peter

Pete A

On 2011-09-30 20:33:36 +0100, tony cooper said:

> [...]
> I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.

In case this helps... The wet feathers on the swan's head and neck
don't have much detail, I guess the same would apply to wet body
feathers:

<http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132205580/original>

tony cooper

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
>> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
>> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
>> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
>>

>They are all over the Glades.

They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
feathers they have.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 10/1/2011 8:12 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
>>> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
>>> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
>>> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
>>>

>> They are all over the Glades.

> They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
> never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
> feathers they have.

In the Glades, they let you get pretty close.

--
Peter

philo

On 09/30/2011 02:33 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
> processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
>
> It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
> just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
>
> The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
> necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
> Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
> long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
> like it comes from the body.

<snip>

I like it!

Robert Coe

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:10:37 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 10/1/2011 8:12 AM, tony cooper wrote:
: > On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: >>> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
: >>> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
: >>> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
: >>> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
: >>>
: >> They are all over the Glades.
: >
: > They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
: > never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
: > feathers they have.
:
: In the Glades, they let you get pretty close.

Especially if you're carrying, say, a fish. A National Park animal never turns
down a free meal.

Bob

Ray Fischer

G Paleologopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"tony cooper" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
>really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.
>--
>Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>
>So why bother the group with this drivel?

Just to annoy assholes like you?

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal