Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connects to Wireless Net But IE and Netscape Say No Connection

Connects to Wireless Net But IE and Netscape Say No Connection

Kelwin Delaunay

My sister bought a new laptop with Win XP Home It has an ethernet card and a
wireless adapter installed. When booted it shows the icon and message in the
system tray: network cable unplugged, as one would expect since there is no
LAN to connect to at her place of business only a wireless network. When she
pushes the button on the laptop console to connect to wireless network, it
dutifully finds and connects to the wireless network in her office. When she
then starts IE or Netscape browsers, she gets the same message from either
browser---- there is no internet connection and offers to work offline or
try again. Retries are unsuccessful.

Can someone explain to me, please, what to tell her to do next or point me
to the location of information to resolve the problem?

Thank you,
Kelwin

Kelwin Delaunay

*grins* Well, fixed it by trial and error. The factory configuration had
wireless connection under network bridge and the ethernet connection under
LAN or High-Speed Internet. I moved the ethernet connection under the bridge
and the wireless connection out from under the bridge, which popped it into
LAN or High-Speed Internet and, of course, it works. Perhaps, her migraine
will subside now. Chances seem slim, but maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks for your time,
Kelwin

"Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I4lZe.6414$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister bought a new laptop with Win XP Home It has an ethernet card and
> wireless adapter installed. When booted it shows the icon and message in
> the
> system tray: network cable unplugged, as one would expect since there is
> no
> LAN to connect to at her place of business only a wireless network. When
> she
> pushes the button on the laptop console to connect to wireless network, it
> dutifully finds and connects to the wireless network in her office. When
> she
> then starts IE or Netscape browsers, she gets the same message from either
> browser---- there is no internet connection and offers to work offline or
> try again. Retries are unsuccessful.
>
> Can someone explain to me, please, what to tell her to do next or point me
> to the location of information to resolve the problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Kelwin

Quaoar

"Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I4lZe.6414$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister bought a new laptop with Win XP Home It has an ethernet card
> and a
> wireless adapter installed. When booted it shows the icon and message
> in the
> system tray: network cable unplugged, as one would expect since there
> is no
> LAN to connect to at her place of business only a wireless network.
> When she
> pushes the button on the laptop console to connect to wireless
> network, it
> dutifully finds and connects to the wireless network in her office.
> When she
> then starts IE or Netscape browsers, she gets the same message from
> either
> browser---- there is no internet connection and offers to work offline
> or
> try again. Retries are unsuccessful.
>
> Can someone explain to me, please, what to tell her to do next or
> point me
> to the location of information to resolve the problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Kelwin

It sounds very much like she has not set up the security protocol in the
office. She'll need to discuss this with whoever manages that network.