Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DeepCool Tiger Shark redux....

DeepCool Tiger Shark redux....

~misfit~

Well, I went ahead and bought one of these despite the dearth of reviews.

$83 from Ascent, arrived the day after ordering, as usual. Fitted using
Arctic Silver 5 instead of the little syringe of paste that came with it.

I was running a Coolermaster 212 Hyper Plus (or similar) tower cooler which
was a bit better at cooling the CPU but left the mobo components to get
quite toasty despite decent case flow-through. I had the option of a
[nearly] free Thermaltake Big Typhoon [BT] but went with the TS instead. The
BT's heatpipes start at the CPU block and the swaging and lack of a proper
cover-block means that they don't make optimal contact, not removing the
heat very efficiently.

The TS's heatpipes start and finish in the fin array and consequently pass
through the CPU block fully and make excellent contact around their full
circumference. There are only four of them but, as vapour can go both ways
from the middle of the pipe in the CPU block, they work as if there were
eight. One thing that I wasn't sure of going by the available literature was
if the cooler could be mounted so that, in my tower case, the heatpipes
would be oriented horizontally. Luckilly it can.*

*It's my experience that, with a heatpipe cooler like the TS, they are
markedly more efficient if the heatpipes are oriented horizontally rather
than vertically. When used vertically basically only half of the heatpipe
array is working as the internal wicking mechanism in the other half is
having to fight gravity. Capillary action will work just fine as a return
mechanism in a horizontal heatpipe but, if it's having to work directly
against gravity it's somewhat lacking. *IME*. Ideally a cooler like this
would work best in a flat desktop case.

A good explanation of wicking in heatpipes:
http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...articleID=2466 The TS uses a
sinstered metal type wick.

Anyway, to finish up about my experience; The included fan was only 0.12A,
running at 1,600rpm. I swapped it for a Silverstone 3A / 1,900rpm fan and
the full load temps dropped 5C without any significant noise increase (in
my case).

My case has a 24cm fan on the side that originally blew air inwards.
However, due to the way I've got it set up I've turned the fan so that it
exhausts air from the case (along with a 12cm, 3A fan at the back and the
12cm fan in the PSU and I'm considering cutting a hole for another 12cm
exhaust on the top of the case).

I have all of that air exhausting as I have up to five HDDs mounted in the
front of the case (in removable docks) with perforated 'blank plates'
between them that the air is sucked in through. Without so much airflow the
drives can run hotter than the manufacturers specs, which I don't like as
it's permanently recorded in NVRAM on the drive and affects warranty status.
However it means that the fan on a 'to-down' cooler is, to a certain extent,
fighting with the fan on the side of the case for air.

Sorry for the digression. I have my CPU, a QX9650, clocked at it's standard
3GHz but I have it running on a 400MHx FSB (what Intel would call 1,600)
with a 7.5 multiplier instead of it's stock 333MHz FSB / 9x multiplier. I've
done this as I'm running 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM and the CPU FSB:RAM ratio is
running at 1:1. This gives much better results in CPU intensive tasks but
does run the CPU up to 10 hotter than stock.

With the DeepCool Tiger Shark installed withh the heatpipes in the
horizontal plane my CPU runs at about 20 - 25 above ambient (10 - 15C
above case temp) with all four cores at 100% load. As previously mentioned,
the 212 Hyper Plus was 5 better but the northbridge, southbridge and VRMs
got much too hot for my liking, so much so I had to use two radial fans to
blow air over them. http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1318297359.jpg

All in all I'm happy with the TS, especially for $83 and feel that I can
recommend it unreservedly for computers that aren't running insane
overclocks. If you're going to O/C so that your CPU is putting out above
150W I'd suggest that you go for one of the ultra-efficient tower coolers on
the market (or the $200+ Noctua HN-C14). The following page is a useful
reference: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm (although some other
sites don't always agree with Frosty's results).

Anyway, I thought I owed the group a review of sorts for the help that was
offered when I couldn't find any info on the cooler. I hope at least one of
you read it.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2011-10-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, I went ahead and bought one of these despite the dearth of reviews.

[Snip] A experience review

> Anyway, I thought I owed the group a review of sorts for the help that was
> offered when I couldn't find any info on the cooler. I hope at least one of
> you read it.

Done!

Now off to learn about wicking.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-10-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Well, I went ahead and bought one of these despite the dearth of
>> reviews.

> [Snip] A experience review
>
>> Anyway, I thought I owed the group a review of sorts for the help
>> that was offered when I couldn't find any info on the cooler. I hope
>> at least one of you read it.

> Done!
>
> Now off to learn about wicking.

Cool. Yeah, wicking is an important part of the way heatpipes work that is
often overlooked. Simply changing the orientation of a cooler so that the
wick system isn't having to work against gravity so much can shave quite a
few degrees off the temperature.

For instance, most tower coolers actually work better if they're fitted
'flat' in the case, with the exhaust air going upwards toward the PSU. As
long as the airflow through the case is adequate the CPU will run much
cooler, however you never see them fitted like that.

When they're fitted with half of the tops of the heatpipes facing upwards
and half facing downwards (airflow towards the back of the case) the
heatpipes that're facing upwards, and have gravity assisting the wicking
rather than opposing it, do about 75% of the work. That's fine with most of
the top-of-the-line towers as they're engineered to handle it. However, with
a more marginal cooler, or a top-down cooler where the pipes have more twist
and turns, heatpipe orientation can make the difference between a good
result and an inadequate one.

Then there's the type of wick utilised. Some (sinstered metals) are more
efficient than others (simple grooves). Therefore coolers whose heatpipes
have the better wicking systems can be more forgiving.

Frankly I'm surprised that it isn't emphasised more. It's probably because
half of the 'reviewers' don't fully understand how heatpipes work. They just
look at the pictures in the booklet and follow that. The picture of the
Tiger Shark has it rotated 90 to how I've fitted it and I bet you dollars
to dog turds that if I'd fitted it that way I'd be dissapointed with the
performance. However I can't be arsed trying it just to prove again what
I've already proved to myself a few times. <g>

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Well, I went ahead and bought one of these despite the dearth of
> reviews.

[snip]
> Anyway, to finish up about my experience; The included fan was only
> 0.12A, running at 1,600rpm. I swapped it for a Silverstone 3A /
> 1,900rpm fan

D'oh! That should read 0.13A and a CoolerMaster 0.19A respectively. My
Silverstone fan's only 0.12A.

I have a Thermaltake 0.3A fan that I was going to try if needed but I'm
happy with the way things are for now at least. I may have to put a more
powerful fan on if I ever overclock this thing or if the current one's not
good enough come high summer.

(I also have a Sanyo Denki 0.45A fan that looks and sounds like it means
business and a beast of a Delta fan, both out of servers. Delta's a 3.0A but
sounds like my Nilfisk vacuum cleaner. All 12cm / 12V fans, the first five
are 25mm thick, the Delta's a 37.5mm thick thing.)

> and the full load temps dropped 5C without any
> significant noise increase (in my case).

--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]

Oh, and after I fitted my new cooler I find out that Deepcool have made
*two* other coolers in the 'Shark' series and the Tiger is the baby of the
bunch.

There's the "Fiend Shark" (Gotta love that Chinglish!):
http://www.frostytech.com/permalink.cfm?NewsID=88603 Six heatpipes instead
of the four in the TS and 14cm fan instead of the 12cm fan of the TS.

Then, just to be really OTT there's a 1.8KG all-copper version, the Fiend
Shark XT:
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/6...-shark-xt.html

However these are both new release and I've not seen them in NZ. Also,
looking at the design (and comparing the all-important middle two heatpipes
and their fin arrays which take most of the heat) I honestly don't think
that either of these two would be massively better than the vanilla TS. (TS
pic for comparison of the middle pipes fin arrays:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=394180 )Especially
a TS with a fan upgrade. Yeah, the FS and FS XT would likely handle more
heat transfer, largely due to the bigger fin area, but I think not that
much.

G'night.