Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Kiwibank scam

Kiwibank scam

Donchano

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

Enkidu

On 09/10/11 11:06, Roger_Nickel wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:10:22 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/11 12:12, Roger_Nickel wrote:
>>> I got this email:-
>>>
>>> "Dear Valued Customer,
>>>
>>> You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
>>> cannot be
>>> completed due to errors present in your account information.
>>>
>>> You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
>>> immediately.
>>>
>>> https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
>>>
>>> Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call
>>> Customer Service at the
>>> number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7
>>> days a week.
>>>

>>> We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to
>>> use. Yours sincerely... "
>>>
>>> O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting
>>> thing is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the
>>> URL resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I
>>> didn't try to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of
>>> the kiwibank domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage
>>> and the Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/
>> >

>> Is the link actually what it seems to be? When you hover over the link,
>> does the status line show kiwibank's URL or the pet shop's?
>>
>> Cheers,

> OK, a bit more poking around and I think that I have found the problem.
> Firefox complains that the ssl certificate is issued to www.kiwibank.co.nz
> (not:- kiwibank.co.nz). The browser automatically adds the www if the url
> is entered into the address bar but not if clicking directly on the link
> from within the email. Cunning; I missed it the first time, but now it
> seems so simple. A chink in the Kiwibank armour.

That still doesn't divert the user to the pet shop.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol├▓ di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Gordon

On 2011-10-08, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, a bit more poking around and I think that I have found the problem.
> Firefox complains that the ssl certificate is issued to www.kiwibank.co.nz
> (not:- kiwibank.co.nz). The browser automatically adds the www if the url
> is entered into the address bar but not if clicking directly on the link
> from within the email. Cunning; I missed it the first time, but now it
> seems so simple. A chink in the Kiwibank armour.

Not really, rather the reverse. You thought that you just stroll in with
near enough is good enough attitude. First attempt failed, albeit to Firefox
saying, Hey! ssl certificate is not right. You then have to decide to allow
or not the other address. A phishing chink is more to the point.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

> Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
> occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
> Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

That's not irony is it?
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gib Bogle

On 8/10/2011 12:12 p.m., Roger_Nickel wrote:
> I got this email:-
>
> "Dear Valued Customer,
>
> You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
> cannot be
> completed due to errors present in your account information.
>
> You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
> immediately.
>
> https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
>
> Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
> Service at the
> number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
> a week.
>

> We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
> Yours sincerely... "

What's impressive is the lack of grammar/spelling mistakes. They
usually give the game away.

Your Name

In article <j6rgli$lih$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
> >
> >> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

> > Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
> > occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
> > Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

> That's not irony is it?

Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements.

Enkidu

On 10/10/11 09:01, Your Name wrote:
> In article<j6rgli$lih$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
>>> occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
>>> Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

>> That's not irony is it?

> Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements.

Nope. A chocolate cake is chocolatey and an iron bar is irony.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol˛ di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Your Name

In article <4e91ffa2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 10/10/11 09:01, Your Name wrote:
> > In article<j6rgli$lih$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> That's not irony is it?

> > Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements.
> >

> Nope. A chocolate cake is chocolatey and ...

A sponge cake is spongey, a fruit cake is fruity, a lemon icing is lemony,
but what does that make a toast with honey? Honeyey?

> ... an iron bar is irony.

Unless you leave it out in the rain, in which case an iron bar is just
rusty.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <j6pais$8e6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:

>[snip]
>>> No they don't had I have never given them my email addy.

>> You are so wrong.
>>
>> I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to
>> them.

>Same here. I mean, why wouldn't they send emails? This isn't the 1700s (or
>whenever it was Woger was spawned), any business that doesn't use available
>tools to it's advantage is going to get left behind.

Sure ... but come on ... what does ... "we have some money for you but need
to confirm your account and password data" sound like to you ?

Remember also ... "banks will never ask for your password by email", and I
suggest that a phone call would resolve the "problem".

Of course, the OP didn't mention if they were expecting 'some money" or not.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <j6pais$8e6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:

>> [snip]
>>> You are so wrong.
>>>
>>> I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to
>>> them.

>> Same here. I mean, why wouldn't they send emails? This isn't the
>> 1700s (or whenever it was Woger was spawned), any business that
>> doesn't use available tools to it's advantage is going to get left
>> behind.

> Sure ... but come on ... what does ... "we have some money for you
> but need
> to confirm your account and password data" sound like to you ?

Heh!

> Remember also ... "banks will never ask for your password by email",
> and I
> suggest that a phone call would resolve the "problem".

Mate, I don't know if it's just me but I get several NZ bank scam emails a
week, mostly for banks with whom I don't hold an account. The difference
between a real bank email and a scam is chalk and cheese.

> Of course, the OP didn't mention if they were expecting 'some money"
> or not.

Aren't we always though? I'm still waiting for my boat to come in. <g>