Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brother DCP 165C

Brother DCP 165C

Roger Dewhurst

I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger Dewhurst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
>feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
>One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
>send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
>suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
>of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. Best
get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
the copies ? On a clear disk ...

Roger Dewhurst

On Oct 4, 5:04*pm, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>, Roger Dewhurst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
> >feature. *It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
> >One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. *I can
> >send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. *Can someone
> >suggest where I might look for the copy? *It is not among the copies
> >of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

> Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
> this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. Best
> get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
> the copies ? On a clear disk ... *

I sent a similar test email to myself using exactly the same
procedure. It arrived!

Donchano

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:21:09 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 4/10/2011 5:28 p.m., Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 5:04 pm, (E-Mail Removed)
>> (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

>>> Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
>>> this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. Best
>>> get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
>>> the copies ? On a clear disk ...

>> I sent a similar test email to myself using exactly the same
>> procedure. It arrived!
>>

>AFAIK it won't go into any "sent items" folder as the Brother software
>sends the email directly rather than via your email client.

Can you "send" a copy to yourself as well? IOW send to two addresses -
one to your recipient and the other to yourself so you've got a copy?

Dave Doe

In article <0c440803-7d6d-4ba2-8477-98c2d395aef7
@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Roger Dewhurst
says...

> I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
> feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
> One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
> send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
> suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
> of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

You need to do a bit more than just send an e-mail - it needs to know of
a "server" - normally, these things sit in a domain enviroment, but....
check out what you can setup - configure it with an IP address that
matches your local environment - eg if your local IP enviroment is like
192.168.1.1 ... 255 - then try assigning it a network address of say
192.168.1.150 . If you can it it "on" the network, then you can
normally configure these sorts of machine via their own "web server" -
just like an ADSL modem. So then from your PC you could go to:
http://192.168.1.150 - and you'll find it much easier to setup via it's
web interface.

(Sorry I've not looked up the printer, so I could be quite wrong about
the IP setup and it being able to be configured via a built in web
interface / server).

--
Duncan.