Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD players with 4:3 TV zoom feature?

DVD players with 4:3 TV zoom feature?

Nighthawk

May be OT, but a friend's 32" Samsung plays widescreen DVDs that are
formatted as 4:3 as a 20" picture in the middle of the 32" screen.
There is no way to zoom it to full width as I can with my Panasonic
Plasma. Are there any modern HDMI DVD players with the 4:3 TV zoom
feature that zooms the picture up to full width?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nighthawk wrote:
> May be OT, but a friend's 32" Samsung plays widescreen DVDs that are
> formatted as 4:3 as a 20" picture in the middle of the 32" screen.
> There is no way to zoom it to full width as I can with my Panasonic
> Plasma. Are there any modern HDMI DVD players with the 4:3 TV zoom
> feature that zooms the picture up to full width?

*IS* OT. Post to nz.tech where there are discussions of TVs etc. regularly.

Luck,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2011-09-30, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> May be OT, but a friend's 32" Samsung plays widescreen DVDs that are
> formatted as 4:3 as a 20" picture in the middle of the 32" screen.
> There is no way to zoom it to full width as I can with my Panasonic
> Plasma. Are there any modern HDMI DVD players with the 4:3 TV zoom
> feature that zooms the picture up to full width?

Heck I have to ask. Why would one wish to do this? You either get
distortion, or mising parts of the picture.

I accept 4:3, as I do black and white, it was how they were created. Let
them be.

Richard

On 10/1/2011 4:36 PM, Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-09-30, Nighthawk<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> May be OT, but a friend's 32" Samsung plays widescreen DVDs that are
>> formatted as 4:3 as a 20" picture in the middle of the 32" screen.
>> There is no way to zoom it to full width as I can with my Panasonic
>> Plasma. Are there any modern HDMI DVD players with the 4:3 TV zoom
>> feature that zooms the picture up to full width?
>>

> Heck I have to ask. Why would one wish to do this? You either get
> distortion, or mising parts of the picture.
>
> I accept 4:3, as I do black and white, it was how they were created. Let
> them be.

OP said widescreen DVDs that are formatted 4:3 - so that will be ones
that have the letterboxing done by the idiot that mastered the disc,
usualy an american since the idea of widescreen SD is too much for them
to understand over there.

Not many discs like that coming out now, and putting those zoom modes is
just one more setting for people to stuff up and blame the technology
instead of themselves.

Nighthawk

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:12:53 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/1/2011 4:36 PM, Gordon wrote:
>> On 2011-09-30, Nighthawk<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> May be OT, but a friend's 32" Samsung plays widescreen DVDs that are
>>> formatted as 4:3 as a 20" picture in the middle of the 32" screen.
>>> There is no way to zoom it to full width as I can with my Panasonic
>>> Plasma. Are there any modern HDMI DVD players with the 4:3 TV zoom
>>> feature that zooms the picture up to full width?
>>>

>> Heck I have to ask. Why would one wish to do this? You either get
>> distortion, or mising parts of the picture.
>>
>> I accept 4:3, as I do black and white, it was how they were created. Let
>> them be.

>OP said widescreen DVDs that are formatted 4:3 - so that will be ones
>that have the letterboxing done by the idiot that mastered the disc,
>usualy an american since the idea of widescreen SD is too much for them
>to understand over there.
>
>Not many discs like that coming out now, and putting those zoom modes is
>just one more setting for people to stuff up and blame the technology
>instead of themselves.

(Sorry for being slow getting back here - had a lot to do). But you
have it exactly. I have a boxed set here, Clint Eastwood - three
movies, the Dollars movies and The Good, The Bad . . . The first two
are 1.85:1 4x3. These play small on the screen with black all around.
On my Panasonic EH58 DVD recorder and 42" Panasonic Full HD plasma I
can use the TV's aspect ratio button, Zoom 2, which brings the picture
full width proper aspect ratio and the picture is very good. My
friend's Pioneer player and Samsung TV does not give that option. I
have been around the appliance stores and found two players that have
the zoom funtion, a Philips and a Panasonic, but, plugged into a
Samsung TV the picture was terrible. When we tried the Philips into a
Panasonic Full HD plasma the picture was a little better but no where
near as good as I get at home, which leaves me a bit puzzled as to
why. While it seems that matching brands is a good idea, I have had a
Philips HDMI player here that played very well, but sold that as I
preferred my EH58 slightly.