Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Unexplained files - why?

Re: Unexplained files - why?

Jeff Higgins

On 10/04/2011 08:29 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> I've just run rkhunter on one of my Linux boxes. It found an unexpected
> pair of files:
>
> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock
> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile
>
> Both are empty and are timestamped "May 4 11:58" and so are probably
> connected to an SDK update since I found an archived copy of jdk-6u26-
> linux-i586.rpm with a timestamp of "May 4 11:59" on the same machine.
> What is odd is that I installed the same JDK on another machine at the
> same time and it doesn't have these odd files or the /etc/.java directory
> in its filing system.
>
> So, have any of you seen these files or know why they were created?

Just now and no. Debian squeeze with several Java versions all from the
Debian repositories as far as I know.

Roedy Green

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:28:20 -0400, Jeff Higgins
said :

>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock

That sounds like a file created to let everyone know some set of files
are busy. Such files can be left behind if you abort or crash in mid
flight.

Did you abort an install?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Jeff Higgins

On 10/11/2011 10:28 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 08:29 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> I've just run rkhunter on one of my Linux boxes. It found an unexpected
>> pair of files:
>>
>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock
>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile
>>
>> Both are empty and are timestamped "May 4 11:58" and so are probably
>> connected to an SDK update since I found an archived copy of jdk-6u26-
>> linux-i586.rpm with a timestamp of "May 4 11:59" on the same machine.
>> What is odd is that I installed the same JDK on another machine at the
>> same time and it doesn't have these odd files or the /etc/.java directory
>> in its filing system.
>>
>> So, have any of you seen these files or know why they were created?
>>

> Just now and no. Debian squeeze with several Java versions all from the
> Debian repositories as far as I know.

a web search term systemRootModFile seems to indicate the files are part
of a normal install on some os. This link reenforces that impression.
<http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21249277>

Jeff Higgins

On 10/11/2011 11:41 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 10:28 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>> On 10/04/2011 08:29 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> I've just run rkhunter on one of my Linux boxes. It found an unexpected
>>> pair of files:
>>>
>>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock
>>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile
>>>
>>> Both are empty and are timestamped "May 4 11:58" and so are probably
>>> connected to an SDK update since I found an archived copy of jdk-6u26-
>>> linux-i586.rpm with a timestamp of "May 4 11:59" on the same machine.
>>> What is odd is that I installed the same JDK on another machine at the
>>> same time and it doesn't have these odd files or the /etc/.java
>>> directory
>>> in its filing system.
>>>
>>> So, have any of you seen these files or know why they were created?
>>>

>> Just now and no. Debian squeeze with several Java versions all from the
>> Debian repositories as far as I know.

> a web search term systemRootModFile seems to indicate the files are part
> of a normal install on some os. This link reenforces that impression.
> <http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21249277>

and on this system it looks as if they were installed by gcj rather than
sun or openjdk

Martin Gregorie

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:08:48 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:28:20 -0400, Jeff Higgins <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>>> /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock

> That sounds like a file created to let everyone know some set of files
> are busy. Such files can be left behind if you abort or crash in mid
> flight.
>
> Did you abort an install?

Not that I can remember.

I've recently replaced the chkrootkit checker, which seems to have become
abandonware some time since 2009, with rkhunter because the chkrootkit FPs
were becoming annoying and it turns out that rkhunter is directly
supported by RedHat and included in current Fedora distros. While
scanning the rkhunter documentation I noticed that by default it ignores
/etc/.java and its contents, so evidently its considered benign.

So, thanks for your suggestions and comments. Its nice to know that it
can safely be ignored.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK