Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Interesting utilities

Interesting utilities

jacob navia

Le 16/10/11 03:24, Kaz Kylheku a écrit :
>> Maybe you have an example?

> http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file+i...&submit=Search
>
> 45 hits, some of them relevant-looking.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file+search&submit=Search
>
> 251 hits.
>
> Man, you really are still a goof, sorry to say.
>
> Windows has dynamic file indexing since Vista, if not before.

Sure sure....

In Wikipedia the program "tracker" is listed as a search utility for
linux.

Downloaded the package from
http://projects.gnome.org/tracker
Then:

bzip2 -d tracker-0.1.12.bz2
untarred result
changed to the direzctory and typed ./configure
../configure fails with:
configure: error: glib-compile-schemas not found.

Searched google for that.

After much searching I found out that actually I have that package
installed in /usr/bin.

Apparently I am not the only one havinng that problem, there are many
hits about that error message. But there are no solutions. Some of
the solutions point to upgrading to a newer version of the OS...
but I am running already the latest Ubuntu (I try to keep current since
under linux if you aren't upgrading every 2-3 months the OS nothing
will work any more)

The problem is that I have the package but the
configure script doesn't fdind it (it is in /usr/bin... I really do not
understand why that directory is not searched)

I edit the configure script and see that there is an environment
variable that should contain the path to those "compile-schemas"
I set the variable, rerun, nothing, same error.

Now I discover that I am not really a shell/ configure / language
expert. I can't figure out why the thing isn't found I give up.

Wasted time: Approx 1 hour.

mdfind came with the mac already, nothing to do for me.

But of course I am a "goofer"...

Look Mr Kaz, I am well aware that an indexing utility could
exist for linux even one that after several hours of work
could even work better than mdfind.

But... really, I do not feel like wasting more time in it.
Yes, it is free, I did not pay for my Ubuntu version. But I
have learned the hard way that unless you want to specialize in
linux administration you will be wasting so much time with it that it
is just not worth trying to do things like this for somebody
that is not a linux admin...

I wonder how would I explain the usage of the linux utility to
my wife...

"Look Annie, just download that source package"

Then, there is no install program, you have to type
../configure

etc...
`
Good luck with that

jacob

jacob navia

Well, there was another way, sorry.

The ubuntu distribution has a package for tracker binaries.
Excellent!

I download the package and apparently installs without problems.

Obviously there isn't any documentation at all. After some searching
I discover that it installed in "Accessories". I click in the tracker
line and a window appears with a text field called "Search"

I type "iList" and press return. Since I downloaded the source code
of the containers library in a subdirectory under /home/jacob
I know that this word appears.

Nothing, nothing changes, everything remains empty. Mmmmmm...
Maybe I haven't configured something?

Open a shell "man tracker" gives no answer, no documentation.

I type

tracker-<TAB>

and see a list of tracker programs. I call the configuration
program and... yes, my home directory is listed under the
directories to be searched recursively.

I see another utility: tracker-search. I write

$ tracker-search iList
Results: 0

Ahhh that is why everything is empty. It doesn't find anything.
Why?

Mistery. The configuration program says that it has written the
configuration and I see /home/jacob in the recursive directory
list.

I go to /home/jacob/ccl and write:

$ grep iList *.c
containers.h: extern ListInterface iList;

Yes, I am not dreaming...

Well, I do not know what is going on. There must be some configuration
option I did not find out. Probably after some hours of work I could
get this stuff running, who knows?

Kaz Kylheku

On 2011-10-16, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, there was another way, sorry.
>
> The ubuntu distribution has a package for tracker binaries.
> Excellent!

Yes, I just found it in three seconds while looking at your
other post:

Is this it?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/tracker

I would not try to compile from scratch packages that have any
complex dependencies. (Not as a Ubuntu user, that is.)

> I download the package and apparently installs without problems.
> Obviously there isn't any documentation at all. After some searching

I searched the web instead to find the home of this thing.

http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/documentation.html

"All the documentation is on the live wiki"

http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Docume...GettingStarted

Much of the documentation is developer-oriented. This looks like an
experimental new project of some sorts.

> Well, I do not know what is going on. There must be some configuration
> option I did not find out. Probably after some hours of work I could
> get this stuff running, who knows?

The wiki page says there is is a:

"tracker-miner-fs | The file system crawler to mine data from local files"

I doubt that you will find anything if this has not run and done its job.

Accessing Browser Utilities on LinkSys WAP11 Doug Miannay Wireless Networking 1 04-18-2005 06:51 AM
Ant Utilities? Marcus Leon Java 1 02-04-2005 10:35 PM
Integerating Unix pipes with Swing Utilities Ganesh Java 4 01-31-2005 12:14 PM
HTML text filters, display control, utilities _eee_ ASP .Net 3 02-28-2004 10:58 PM
Cisco Tools & Utilities JohnNews Cisco 3 10-28-2003 10:38 PM

Advertisments