Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Drives won't install on xp home

Drives won't install on xp home

Doc

Hello: I purchased a d-link wireless adapter. Went to install the drivers
and I can't. The screen comes up for the installshield, and when I get to
the screen that asks Me where I want to install the program, I click next
and installshield stops. I go to task manager and it says that installshield
is running but I have to end task to get out of it. If I try to install
again, I get an error code that says, cannot install "removedev.exe"
"access denied"

I have contacted d-link, they have referred Me to Microsoft

What is removedev.exe
Has anyone had any experience with this ??

Kevin

A Google search for the term "removedev.exe" only returns two hits. A
search for "removedev" or "remove dev" is more helpful. Something to do
with, amazingly enough, removing devices. Some of the hits are simply web
pages with a bunch of java and other code that have "removedev" or "Remove
Dev" in one of the lines. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello: I purchased a d-link wireless adapter. Went to install the drivers
> and I can't. The screen comes up for the installshield, and when I get to
> the screen that asks Me where I want to install the program, I click next
> and installshield stops. I go to task manager and it says that
> installshield is running but I have to end task to get out of it. If I try
> to install again, I get an error code that says, cannot install
> "removedev.exe" "access denied"
>
> I have contacted d-link, they have referred Me to Microsoft
>
> What is removedev.exe
> Has anyone had any experience with this ??

atec

Doc wrote:
> Hello: I purchased a d-link wireless adapter. Went to install the drivers
> and I can't. The screen comes up for the installshield, and when I get to
> the screen that asks Me where I want to install the program, I click next
> and installshield stops. I go to task manager and it says that installshield
> is running but I have to end task to get out of it. If I try to install
> again, I get an error code that says, cannot install "removedev.exe"
> "access denied"
>
> I have contacted d-link, they have referred Me to Microsoft
>
> What is removedev.exe
> Has anyone had any experience with this ??

remove the hardware , reboot and install software / reboot and add
hardware . it should work , I think the manual might suggest this as
well , you have read the manual ?
now just to be sure add oi/s and model of hardware you are adding .

JnJ

says...
> Hello: I purchased a d-link wireless adapter. Went to install the drivers
> and I can't. The screen comes up for the installshield, and when I get to
> the screen that asks Me where I want to install the program, I click next
> and installshield stops. I go to task manager and it says that installshield
> is running but I have to end task to get out of it. If I try to install
> again, I get an error code that says, cannot install "removedev.exe"
> "access denied"
>
> I have contacted d-link, they have referred Me to Microsoft
>
> What is removedev.exe
> Has anyone had any experience with this ??

I had exactly this problem. D-Link tech referred me to a MS page of help
for Install Shield. None of this helped. Back to D-Link who could offer
no further assistance.

So, insert the D-Link CD, plug the device into a USB port, when asked
for the driver either browse to the driver folder on your D-Link CD or
just let the installation search until it finds the driver. Turn on the
Windows Zero Configuration Service (if it is not already running) and
let the OS set up the device. Works fine.

Zero Config service is found through Control Panel, Administrative
Tools, Services.

--
Jim