Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > zipped folder

zipped folder

fulio pen

Hello,

I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess
I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not
normal. For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see
the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need
to do? Thanks for teaching.

fulio pen

Mike S

On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess
> I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not
> normal. For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see
> the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need
> to do? Thanks for teaching.
>
> fulio pen

What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc utility. If
this doesn't solve your problem you would probably benefit from posting
to a group for your OS.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fulio pen wrote:

> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
> have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
> For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
> plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
> Thanks for teaching.

1. Where did you get this "folder?"
2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
3. What is its URL?
4. Why did you download it?
5. What code are you expecting to see?
6. What files don't open?

The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
to ask on the way to finding a solution.

--
-bts

Doug Miller

On 10/2/2011 10:19 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> fulio pen wrote:
>
>> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
>> have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
>> For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
>> plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
>> Thanks for teaching.

> 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
> 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
> 3. What is its URL?
> 4. Why did you download it?
> 5. What code are you expecting to see?
> 6. What files don't open?
>
> The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
> to ask on the way to finding a solution.

BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter:
1) The entire thread is waaay off-topic here
2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring useful responses to
his many basic questions

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Doug Miller wrote:

> BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter: 1) The entire thread is
> waaay off-topic here 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring
> useful responses to his many basic questions

Yes, I've noticed that. I even wrote a complete sample page recently for
him showing how to 'not use frames'. No response to that one.

Perhaps I shall pass by Mr Pen's posts from now on. Let him buy a book.

--
-bts

dorayme

In article <j6b62r$gs6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> fulio pen wrote:
>
> > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
> > have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
> > For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
> > plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
> > Thanks for teaching.

> 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
> 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
> 3. What is its URL?
> 4. Why did you download it?
> 5. What code are you expecting to see?
> 6. What files don't open?
>
> The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
> to ask on the way to finding a solution.

But ... but ... splutter... you only asked six? Out of an almost
infinite amount, what's a miserable six?

--
dorayme

fulio pen

On Oct 2, 10:18*pm, Mike S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
>
> > Hello,

> > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess
> > I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not
> > normal. *For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see
> > the code in plain text. *Many files don't open, either. What do I need
> > to do? *Thanks for teaching.

> > fulio pen

> What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc utility. If
> this doesn't solve your problem you would probably benefit from posting
> to a group for your OS.

Thanks. My OS is XP. Do I need to download IZarc? Thanks again.

fulio pen

fulio pen

On Oct 2, 10:19*pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> fulio pen wrote:
> > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
> > have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal..
> > *For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the codein
> > plain text. *Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
> > Thanks for teaching.

> 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
> 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
> 3. What is its URL?
> 4. Why did you download it?
> 5. What code are you expecting to see?
> 6. What files don't open?
>
> The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
> to ask on the way to finding a solution.
>
> --
> * *-bts
> * *-This space for rent, but the price is high

I downloaded the folder from: www.javascriptworld.com to hard drive.

After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
(zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
Javascript.

The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.

When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

Thanks a lot for help.

fulio pen

Neil Gould

fulio pen wrote:
> On Oct 2, 10:18 pm, Mike S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,

>>> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I
>>> guess I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior
>>> is not normal. For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me
>>> to see the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What
>>> do I need to do? Thanks for teaching.

>>> fulio pen

>> What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc
>> utility. If this doesn't solve your problem you would probably
>> benefit from posting to a group for your OS.

> Thanks. My OS is XP. Do I need to download IZarc? Thanks again.
>
> fulio pen

Have you tried right-clicking on the file to see what options are available?
Perhaps "unzip" is one of them, but if not, you may need to download another
program to perform the operation.

--
Neil

fulio pen

On Oct 2, 11:14*pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Doug Miller wrote:
> > BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter: 1) The entire thread is
> > waaay off-topic here 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring
> > useful responses to his many basic questions

> Yes, I've noticed that. I even wrote a complete sample page recently for
> him showing how to 'not use frames'. No response to that one.
>
> Perhaps I shall pass by Mr Pen's posts from now on. Let him buy a book.
>
> --
> * *-bts
> * *-This space for rent, but the price is high

I believe someone else already offered a solution before you did. I
got that one, and did not read the thread further. Thank you anyway.

fulio pen