Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Query about abstraction during inheritance

Query about abstraction during inheritance

Anshum Kocher

Is base class the abstraction of derived class or vice versa?

Juha Nieminen

Anshum Kocher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is base class the abstraction of derived class or vice versa?

In a pure object-oriented design a base class is *more abstract*
(conceptually) than the class derived from it (which is conceptually
more concrete). I suppose it depends on what you mean by it being
"the abstraction".

Anshum Kocher

On Oct 1, 4:45*pm, Juha Nieminen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anshum Kocher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is base class the abstraction of derived class or vice versa?

> * In a pure object-oriented design a base class is *more abstract*
> (conceptually) than the class derived from it (which is conceptually
> more concrete). I suppose it depends on what you mean by it being
> "the abstraction".

The abstraction here is synonymous with the abstraction defined in
OOPS concepts?

Juha Nieminen

Anshum Kocher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 4:45*pm, Juha Nieminen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Anshum Kocher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Is base class the abstraction of derived class or vice versa?

>> * In a pure object-oriented design a base class is *more abstract*
>> (conceptually) than the class derived from it (which is conceptually
>> more concrete). I suppose it depends on what you mean by it being
>> "the abstraction".

> The abstraction here is synonymous with the abstraction defined in
> OOPS concepts?

That still says little.