Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Packard Bell computer driving me crazy!!!! Help!

Re: Packard Bell computer driving me crazy!!!! Help!

VanguardLH

NOTE: Newsgroups have been altered from those specified by the OP.

Original newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Added newsgroups: alt.computer

The original thread can be viewed in Google Groups at:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...a795fc0e0d0ecd

<rant>
This is to add the notice that Tony chose to omit. Whenever the list of
newsgroups is changed, make notice of that fact. Place a note at the
top of your reply that the Newsgroups were changed (added or removed)
from the original list so others are aware of the change. Optionally
state in the notice why the change was considered appropriate if not so
stated in the body of your reply. Notice of change is optional but
appreciated if your Usenet provider does not carry one, or more, of the
original newsgroups (that is, you cannot post there).

Users should not have to ferret out or happen to notice the attempt to
redirect a thread (to move it elsewhere or remove it). Tell them you
did it. Redirection without notification is a troll maneuver.
</rant>

NOTE: The uk.d-i-y newsgroup (for my NNTP server) requires use of the
FollowUp-To header (which is a ridiculous requirement if the poster
intends to NOT be rude by yanking the discussion away from where it
originally appeared). As such, the FollowUp-To header was used to
move/retain this discussion under the following newsgroup that I
monitor:

alt.computer

As such, replies will go to alt.computer unless you change (and politely
notify of such) the Newsgroups header for your reply.

tony sayer wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Tomlinson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>En el artículo <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
>><(E-Mail Removed)> escribió:
>>
>>>Right. But this is a DIY ng and fixing a computer is DIY.

>>from the FAQ:
>>
>>"DIY stands for Do It Yourself, Plumbing, wiring, building, decorating,
>>furniture making, and in fact anything and everything to do with
>>maintaining, running, and improving your home, from putting up shelves
>>to building a house."
>>
>>Nothing there about fixing computers, and there are other, more
>>suitable, more targeted, groups where the OP would receive excellent
>>advice.
>>
>>>The error messages don't always help either.

>>You're clueless. They can at the very least help differentiate between
>>software (device driver) and hardware issues.
>>

> Try a posting on alt.computer

Original newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Added newsgroups: alt.computer
Effector/Respondent: tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)>

This is to warn that Effector has copied [only their subthread of] an
existing discussion to other groups by cross-posting their reply to
groups not originally specified by the OP (original post[er]). There
may be additional replies back under the original post in its original
group(s) than just those shown under the subthread for the Effector's
cross-posted reply. If the OP and others wish to ensure that they see
ALL replies then they must visit the original groups to check if there
are subthreads *other* than just under the Effector's reply.

<rant>
If the OP wishes to move or copy their discussion to another group, that
should be *their* choice and not as an UNSOLICITED action enforced by
another *user*. Despite his pretense, the Effector is not a moderator
or admin but just another user who is propagating the OP's discussion to
different group(s) that he has divined are more appropriate and to
possibly enlarge the audience or hopefully provide a more focused
community on the topic but which may not be a correct or best choice for
the OP. The actual source of the problem may turn out not to be
relevant to those other groups simply based on what the OP reported as
the symptoms and upon what the Respondent based their decision to
forcibly redirect someone else's discussion. If the OP wants to move or
copy their discussion to another group, that should be THEIR choice and
not of the Respondent. The Respondent should only recommend to the OP
that there may be more appropriate or useful groups to which the OP
should repost or cross-post their message, not enforce the propagation
of the OP's discussion to other groups.

A misguided urge to enlarge or change exposure for a discussion based on
the Respondent's biases or presumptions is not an adequate reason to
alter the Newsgroups header. Recommend the OP should move. Do not
SHOVE them over. It should be the OP's choice as to where they focus
their discussion, not a forced change made by the Respondent. Despite
trying to help, forcing a redirection of someone else's discussion is
troll-like behavior. Suggest the change. Don't force it.
</rant>

RECOMMENDING the discussion move to a more narrowly focused newsgroup
that may better address the topic is laudable. SHOVING someone over
there without their permission and without notification is despicable
and smacks of behavior typical of trolls, spammers, and malevolents.

Roger Mills

On 30/09/2011 22:44, VanguardLH wrote:
> NOTE: Newsgroups have been altered from those specified by the OP.
>
> Original newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
> Added newsgroups: alt.computer
>
> The original thread can be viewed in Google Groups at:
> http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...a795fc0e0d0ecd
>
> <rant>
> This is to add the notice that Tony chose to omit. Whenever the list of
> newsgroups is changed, make notice of that fact.

<massive snip>

Maybe "get a life" is an appropriate response!
--
Cheers,
Roger

tony sayer

>NOTE: The uk.d-i-y newsgroup (for my NNTP server) requires use of the
>FollowUp-To header (which is a ridiculous requirement if the poster
>intends to NOT be rude by yanking the discussion away from where it
>originally appeared). As such, the FollowUp-To header was used to
>move/retain this discussion under the following newsgroup that I
>monitor:
>
> alt.computer
>
>As such, replies will go to alt.computer unless you change (and politely
>notify of such) the Newsgroups header for your reply.

Wow!...

Never thought that would raise such a storm and it was actually sent in
error !... never mind life's too short... whatever;!...

--
Tony Sayer