Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > incomplete initialization of array

incomplete initialization of array

J. J. Farrell

Harald van Dijk wrote:
> On Oct 1, 4:53 am, "J. J. Farrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mark wrote:
>>> #define MAX_LEN 10
>>> char name[MAX_LEAN + 1] = { '\0', };

>> If this is the actual code rather than a typo, then the array is only
>> one element in length. Is that what has confused you?

> I don't understand what you mean here. Yes, MAX_LEN and MAX_LEAN are
> spelt differently, but that should result in a compiler error, not an
> array of a different length.

Apologies, I must have been asleep when posting. My mind had wandered
off into the messy areas of preprocessor constant expressions involving
macros which may or may not be defined, and may be defined as empty. I
had to fight with that a lot in my first C project, and it left deep
scars. I don't know which genius added "defined" to C89, but I remember
wanting to buy him a pint; it made that sort of thing much easier.

My comment would have made sense if there were a

#define MAX_LEAN

or equivalent before that code.

J. J. Farrell

James Kuyper wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:55 PM, BartC wrote:
>> "Joe Pfeiffer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, yes -- if you specify any at all, the ones you specify are set to
>>> whatever you want. The others are all set to 0.

>> int a[5]={1}; (1,0,0,0,0) not (1,1,1,1,1) as might be assumed.

> You're right, that assumption is incorrect. But I didn't realize that's
> what you were talking about. Is that what Mark was talking about, too?

Hard to tell since the example he gave would have had the same result
for both possibilities. For the original example, at least, "not
working" couldn't mean he'd made the wrong assumption described here.