Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

RichA

Ugg. I wonder if Nikon has forebade the reviewers from showing RAW
output?

This is up against Panasonic's 3 year old M4/3rd sensor which has last
seen service in the GF3.

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/up...omparison.jpeg

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ugg. I wonder if Nikon has forebade the reviewers from showing RAW
> output?
>
> This is up against Panasonic's 3 year old M4/3rd sensor which has last
> seen service in the GF3.

Not an SLR system. Follow-ups set.

RichA

On Sep 26, 11:57*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Ugg. *I wonder if Nikon has forebade the reviewers from showing RAW
> > output?

> > This is up against Panasonic's 3 year old M4/3rd sensor which has last
> > seen service in the GF3.

> Not an SLR system. *Follow-ups set.

Not a valid response to the subject of the text.

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Not a valid response to the subject of the text.

What did you expect from a small sensor like that?

Robert Coe

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:41:19 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: news:j5qkcf$5t6$(E-Mail Removed):
:
: > "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:53efce8e-c49a-4e3b-963e-8636300c9265
: @w15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
: > []
: >> Not a valid response to the subject of the text.
: >
: > What did you expect from a small sensor like that?
: >
: >
:
: We've heard and see how great Nikon sensors (Sony-made) have been in
: APS and FF. I held out hope they could maintain it even in a small
: size. Also, I noticed when Dpreview discussed them, they carefully
: left-out the old 2/3" sensor size because the Nikon is so close and
: that used to be considered a better-sized P&S sensor, but not a
: potential replacement for a DSLR sensor.

You seem wedded to the proposition that Nikon sees their new line as a DSLR
replacement rather than an upscale P&S. Yet the evidence that Nikon holds that
view is tenuous at best. So why does it make sense to keep denouncing the line
as an inadequate DSLR replacement? Maybe it's overpriced as a high-end P&S; if
so, the market will sort that out. But it's performance, not price, that would
make it a competitor of the DSLR.

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:41:19 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>: news:j5qkcf$5t6$(E-Mail Removed):
>:
>: > "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>: > news:53efce8e-c49a-4e3b-963e-8636300c9265
>: @w15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>: > []
>: >> Not a valid response to the subject of the text.
>: >
>: > What did you expect from a small sensor like that?
>: >
>: >
>:
>: We've heard and see how great Nikon sensors (Sony-made) have been in
>: APS and FF. I held out hope they could maintain it even in a small
>: size. Also, I noticed when Dpreview discussed them, they carefully
>: left-out the old 2/3" sensor size because the Nikon is so close and
>: that used to be considered a better-sized P&S sensor, but not a
>: potential replacement for a DSLR sensor.
>
>You seem wedded to the proposition that Nikon sees their new line as a DSLR
>replacement rather than an upscale P&S. Yet the evidence that Nikon holds that
>view is tenuous at best.

The evidence is conclusive, and it proves the exact opposite. Nikon
made it quite clear from the outset that the 1 System has been
positioned so as not to compete with its DSLR line, and I think Nikon
has succeeded in that.

"Upscale P&S" doesn't quite describe it either, but I can see what you
are getting at. The market positioning of the 1 System is quite
clever, in that it is a significant improvement over most P&S but not
as good as an entry-level DSLR. It is positioned above P&S but below
Micro Four Thirds, and far below the Sony NEX and Samsung CSCs that
offer image quality that is comparable with DSLRs.

>So why does it make sense to keep denouncing the line
>as an inadequate DSLR replacement?

It makes no sense at all. It's just Rich getting muddled.

>Maybe it's overpriced as a high-end P&S; if
>so, the market will sort that out. But it's performance, not price, that would
>make it a competitor of the DSLR.

The 1 System in a single paragraph. An impressive summary, Robert.