Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: DBMSs internally supporting XML ...

Re: DBMSs internally supporting XML ...

Joe Kesselman

On 9/23/2011 9:05 PM, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
> DBMSs internally supporting XML ... ~ I constantly hear about DBMSs
> internally supporting XML and I wonder then why do people use SAX or
> DOM when they could import and XML file into a DBMS and work with the
> data right there? ~ Or what do they mean that you can just read a
> whole XML data feed into a table column?

Depends on the database. IBM's DB2 can either import the whole document
as a single datum, or parse data out of it, or (via the PureXML feature)
operate directly upon it as an XML document tree structure via XPath and
XQuery and so on.

Why folks use SAX and DOM: Not every application needs a DBMS. If you're
processing only one document at a time, and perhaps not even retaining
it after responding to it, running it into and back out of a DBMS would
often be be massive overkill and less efficient use of resources.

No solution, and no tool, is right for all purposes. Which is why both
DOM and SAX exist, along with less-official solutions. Or you might
prefer to step up a level and use XPath, XSLT, and/or XQuery rather than
working directly with those parser-level APIs.

Do what makes sense for your task and context.

--
Joe Kesselman,
http://www.love-song-productions.com...lam/index.html

Joe Kesselman

On 9/25/2011 5:03 PM, Joe Kesselman wrote:
> Do what makes sense for your task and context.

Alternative phrasings:

"Anyone can build a bridge. It takes an engineer to build a bridge with
the right price/performance tradeoffs."

"In theory, practice and theory are the same thing. But in practice..."