Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon group's "whistling in the graveyard" begins

Nikon group's "whistling in the graveyard" begins

RichA

Now starts the nonsense. Dumping a GH2 to get one of these new
Nikons? Good God, why??!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39412502

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that I'm
>just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro Four
>Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.

However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

sid

Bruce wrote:

> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that
>>I'm just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro
>>Four Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
> faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
> the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
> Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.
>
> However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
> because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
> long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
> fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

Yes but can any of those cameras take good pictures of fast moving subjects?
I know the Panasonic G2 can't. I recently spent 10 days watching motorcycle
racing on the Isle of Man and have some seriously good racing shots with my
50D, my friend with a G2 gave up trying after the second practise session
with nothing but blurred shots. Not only did his camera struggle to lock on
focus but when it did and the shutter was clicked it takes an age for the
picture to actually be taken by which time the subject is either out of
frame or just blurred.

--
sid
RLU 300284

RichA

On Sep 27, 9:22*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that I'm
> >just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro Four
> >Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. *

That is a plus, over DSLR's for accuracy and over current mirrorless
if the tracking focus speed is as stated.

PeterN

On 9/28/2011 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
> On 9/27/2011 9:22 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> "Neil Harrington"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system
>>> that I'm
>>> just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my
>>> Micro Four
>>> Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

>> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
>> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
>> faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
>> the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
>> Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.
>>
>> However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
>> because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
>> long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
>> fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.
>>

> I'll wait for the independent tests.

You phrased it a lot nicer than I would have.

--
Peter

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system
>>> that I'm just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part
>>> of my Micro Four Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

>> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
>> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
>> faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
>> the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
>> Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.

>That's good, and no doubt it's important to many users. However, AF speed
>and accuracy has never been an issue for me with any of my Nikon DSLRs,
>going back to the D70s. So for me that's sort of a solution to a
>non-existent problem.

The point was that the 1 System brings DSLR-class AF speed and
accuracy to a mirrorless system for the first time. Hitherto, this
sort of AF performance has depended on a reflex mirror, or in Sony's
case, a pellicle mirror.

>> However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
>> because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
>> long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
>> fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

>I've been very happy with the AF in my G1 and G2 also. I never really
>noticed a difference in speed between them and my Nikons, but I'll take your
>word for it that Panasonic m4/3 is faster.

Only in the latest models, though. Not in the G1 and G2. Sorry.

PeterN

On 9/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On 9/28/2011 7:16 AM, PeterN wrote:

>>> I'll wait for the independent tests.

>> You phrased it a lot nicer than I would have.
>>

> Honestly, how many times have we heard the marketing BS that never lives
> up to the hype? How many times will we see people fall for it? And now
> we're to believe Nikon has introduced a consumer camera, a P&S step up
> that can AF and shoot faster than their top of the line D3s? Really?
>
> I guess I'm just a born skeptic.

Me too. Which is why I question unusual statements, and request a
factual basis. O obfuscation makes me doubt veracity.

--
Peter