Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Sum Ting Wong

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:51:08 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Perhaps yesterday was a weird/unlucky day with electricity behaving weird.

You are an idiot. A retarded twit. You know less than nothing.

**** off and die.

Skybuck Flying

I also found a pretty cool tool called: "WinMount" it can be used to mount
he vmdk files in windows so they become accesable from the windows explorer.

So old C drive was backed up to VMDK.
So old D drive was backed up to VHD.

(The VHD can be mounted by windows itself, unfortunately the VMDK needs a
special tool)

Also VMWare also has a tool for it but might require the vm system to be
effective and might have other drawbacks like not being able to use it as
the same time when using vmware to boot virtualized systems.

Also the WinMount tool has the drawback of having a limited trial period of
15 days or so... there also seems to be a free 32 bit version, but I am not
sure if it will work with windows 7 64 bit.

Maybe I'll find a trial key somewhere ! LOL =D

Just like games/blood: "I need a key !" And I found a key ! =D

Oh well...

Otherwise I could also make another copy of the vmdk and turn it into a VHD
just so I can boot the old system and play quake3 which is on it

I could re-install quake but then I would loose my stats which would kinda
suck ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

I AM THAT I AM

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:33:09 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe I'll find a trial key somewhere ! LOL =D

Only a total retard laughs about his criminality.

All of your PCs should be confiscated and you should be jailed.

Maybe... just maybe... THEN you will get it.

Skybuck Flying

news(E-Mail Removed)...

"
Only a total retard laughs about his criminality.

All of your PCs should be confiscated and you should be jailed.

Maybe... just maybe... THEN you will get it.
"

LOL,

Only a retard thinks finding a key is a criminal act ! LOL =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Hey look people I found a key:

12345KEY LOL.

Skybuck Flying

Well that wasn't hard ! =D

Here we go people:

Name : Peter Doctor Zuma
Serial: M1-E4M93-56QD7-V3VGC-A2AMW

Yeah... I kinda Peter Doctor Zuma ! LOL.

Bye,
Bye,
Skydoc ! =D

Skybuck

On 28 sep, 15:06, "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Well that wasn't hard ! =D
>
> Here we go people:
>
> Name : Peter Doctor Zuma
> Serial: M1-E4M93-56QD7-V3VGC-A2AMW
>
> Yeah... I kinda Peter Doctor Zuma ! LOL.
>
> Bye,
> Bye,
> Skydoc ! =D

^ This program but the way is not so handy, it doesn't auto-mount on
boot, but ok.

Anyway here some posting of mine from another thread, it's about a
possible cause of the boot problem:

Also there might be more to the story than just Windows.

The new harddisk has seemed to fail as well and has bad sectors which
resulted into an interesting red screen which I have not seen before.

It's the grub4dos screen.

Grub4Dos is apperently a boot manager. It's installed by the "crack"
for windows 7, it apperently installs some "slic" for activation.

So perhaps Grub4Dos caused this weird boot problem and not windows
itself !

So perhaps windows installed fine, and then Grub4Dos ****ed it up
somehow, or perhaps both **** up, or perhaps just windows, hard to
say.

I made a little picture of it, batteries now dead, can't upload, don't
have an ftp upload program and don't know password from head and too
lazy, but interesting story anyway

Also if it was windows 32 bit I could have booted it from Knoppix via
it's virtual box, but 64 bit not supported, so the idea of booting a
virtual image via knoppix live cd is kinda interesting.

Both drives do work somewhat... so anyway for now me using Knoppix...
so you not the only one have bad sectors... weird isn't it ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Seeing how the boot manager was nuked/kaput/destroyed, probably by bad
sectors, I connected the other harddisks in the hope their boot manager
might still be intact.

Though that other disk had bad sectors as well, it's suddenly amazingly
working, see my other posting on it ! =D

I am now back in the Windows 7 driving seat ! Wiee ! =D

So lesson:

It's good to have a boot manager on each harddisk in case another harddisk
fails ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

John Turco

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

> > Quadibloc wrote:

> > > Haven't you seen a new hard drive in years?

> > Well, I know you can put the black thing in a third place that lets
> > the drive automatically decide.

> You mean 'Cable Select' which was common, over a decade ago. That
> 'black thing' comes in lots of colors, and is a plug in jumper or
> 'shorting block' for a header connector. I have at least five colors
> of them right now.

<edited for brevity>

The "black thing" has a name (i.e., "shunt").

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>