Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: bad camera is good

Re: bad camera is good

eatmorepies

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently (following advice in this forum) bought a Panasonic TZ8.
>
> Nice camera, handling not so nice as my Canons.
>
> I reviewed my first batch of photos (all taken on "full auto" flash OFF),
> and found that some of them were ... disappointing.
>
> They were taken at the (marvellous) ropewalk
> at Chatham Docks.
>
> Some of them showed a strange texture, a little like noise,
> but also similar to the art effects (chalk/watercolour/oil)
> seen in some paint packages.
>
> And some photographs of black (cast iron) machinery were
> simply underexposed.
>
> Not good.
>
> More careful reviewing of the EXIF data reveals
> that in all cases the exposure was up at 1/4 second,
> and the lens wide open. ISO is 400.
>
> The "art effect" is the image stabilisation hitting it's limits,
> and the underexposures are the camera refusing to go beyond
> 1/4" sec, f "wide open", ISO 400.
>
> It's as simple as not enough light.
>
> Indeed, on reconsideration, it's remarkable how
> good the image are!
>
> BugBear

I bought aTZ9 (which is a version of the TZ8 I think) as a small carry about
camera. Same thing, plenty of light - decent snaps: dull conditions - very
poor in comparison. I blame the Mpixels. My other compact is a Canon G5
which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens. As most
compact owners don't want to print bigger than A4 then lower Mpx would
produce better quality images. unfortunately most punters equate more Mpx
with a better camera on the bigger the better principle, so manufactureres
are going to continue with the 10+ Mpx compacts.

John

otter

On Sep 22, 4:17*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> eatmorepies wrote:
> > My other compact is a Canon G5
> > which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
> > copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens.

> Yeah, well. The Canon G series is a whole different
> "level" of camera.
>
> If I happened to fall across a cheap s/h G9 or 10, I'd stop using the TZ8
>
> * * BugBear

In low light you will get a lot of those "art effect" pictures with a
G series camera as well. It is possible the TZ8 is even worse, though.

Bruce

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>eatmorepies wrote:
>> My other compact is a Canon G5
>> which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
>> copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens.

>Yeah, well. The Canon G series is a whole different
>"level" of camera.
>
>If I happened to fall across a cheap s/h G9 or 10, I'd stop using the TZ8

I like my G9 very much, and use it often, but I would not be so quick
to dismiss the TZ8.

The Panasonic LUMIX TZ-8, which was sold in the USA as the ZS-5, is
almost the perfect travel zoom (hence "TZ"). It's 25-300mm
(equivalent) Leica lens compares very favourably with the G9's
35-200mm and it has plenty of options for creative control.

Perhaps you should read the review of the TZ-8 on DPReview, then you
might realise just how good your camera is!
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210...zoom/page9.asp

My only complaint would be that it has no RAW mode. RAW is useful for
extracting every last ounce of image quality from a shot. But it is a
very rare feature in the TZ-8's market sector.