Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP error when uploaded ""An error occurred on the server when processing the URL"

ASP error when uploaded ""An error occurred on the server when processing the URL"

Luke

Hi

I have the following code which is an ASP questionnaire using an Access
database. (I am using access as I have no choice!). Basically there is an
html form which submits the form to the page below and the code below
submits the data to the DB and redirects the user.

The code works locally on http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 but when I
upload it to a site (I have tried a few and they all error) it says "An
error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the
system administrator."

I was thinking it may be as I am not putting the full path to the database
i.e. c:/pathname/questionnaire.mdb but as I have to FTP it and I don't have
access to the full path and cannot find out what it is.

Has anyone any ideas on what this problem is or how to overcome it?
Luke

The code is:

<% @LANGUAGE = VBScript %>
<%
Dim name, organisation, email, q1, q2
Dim connString, objConn, sql_insert_det, sql_insert_res

Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
connString="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
"DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("questionnaire.mdb") & ";"
objConn.Open(connString)

Function ChkString(string)
If string = "" Then string = " "
ChkString = Replace(string, "'", "''")
End Function

name = ChkString(Request.Form("name"))
organisation = ChkString(Request.Form("organisation"))
email = ChkString(Request.Form("email"))
q1 = ChkString(Request.Form("Financial Institution Name"))
q2 = ChkString(Request.Form("Do you use a branch"))

sql_insert_det = "insert into userdetails (name, organisation, email) values
('" & name & "', '" & organisation & "', '" & email & "')"
sql_insert_res = "insert into questionset1 (question1, question2) values ('"
& q1 & "','" & q2 & "')"

'execute the SQL
objConn.execute(sql_insert_det)
objConn.execute(sql_insert_res)

If err.number=0 Then

response.write "<span style='font-family:arial'>Thank you for completeing
the questionnaire.</span>"
Else
response.write "There was a problem entering the data!"
End If

' Done. Close the connection object
objConn.Close
Set objConn = Nothing

%>

Roland Hall

:
: The code works locally on http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 but when I
: upload it to a site (I have tried a few and they all error) it says "An
: error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the
: system administrator."

Did you?

: I was thinking it may be as I am not putting the full path to the database
: i.e. c:/pathname/questionnaire.mdb but as I have to FTP it and I don't
have
: access to the full path and cannot find out what it is.

Response.Write(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_TRANS LATED"))

This will give you the physical path to the script. You can figure it out
from there.

: connString="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
: "DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("questionnaire.mdb") & ";"

Server.MapPath only references the path under the web root. Your database
should be located in an area not accessible virtually.

\db
\db\questionnaire.mdb
\webroot
\webroot\default.asp

If your db is in the area similar to the above, using the PATH_TRANSLATED
will give you the physical path. If it were:
d:\inetpub\domainname\webroot then your physical path to your db would be:
d:\inetpub\domainname\db

HTH...

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Luke

> to one of the problem pages and sprinkle
>
> if err.number <> 0 then
> response.write err.description
> response.end
> end if
>
> into your code until you find the line that is erroring.

Thanks for the reply I have done as you suggested and found out it is
because there is not write access to the folder, so your debugging example
really helped.

I have therefore contacted my host in regard to this

Luke