Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon launches PowerShot SX40 HS 35x CMOS superzoom - DPReview

Canon launches PowerShot SX40 HS 35x CMOS superzoom - DPReview

Bruce

Canon has just announced the new SX40 HS superzoom with a 35X lens.
What is particularly interesting is that Canon, like Panasonic, has
reverted to using a 12.1 MP sensor.

I suspect that both manufacturers are using the same Sony sensor.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11...anonsx40hs.asp

John Turco

Bruce wrote:

> Canon has just announced the new SX40 HS superzoom with a 35X lens.
> What is particularly interesting is that Canon, like Panasonic, has
> reverted to using a 12.1 MP sensor.
>
> I suspect that both manufacturers are using the same Sony sensor.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11...anonsx40hs.asp

Kodak has already done this MP "reversion" (in 2010):

Z981 (14.1 MP; 26x)

Z990 (12.1 MP; 30x)

[Note: Both use CMOS sensors.]

I believe the same OEM supplies Canon, Kodak, Fuji, Pentax, et
al., with these specific "super zoom" cameras. Their looks and
specifications are far too similar, to think otherwise.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>