Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Webstart network bandwidth

Java Webstart network bandwidth

bcr666

I have a JWS application that accesses EJBs on a Borland Deploymnet
Platform. The application runs fine when run locally, but very slowly
when the client is remote (VPN). The remote connection is only using
about 256Kbps. Is there a way to tell it to use more?

Roedy Green

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:00:15 -0700 (PDT), bcr666 <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I have a JWS application that accesses EJBs on a Borland Deploymnet
>Platform. The application runs fine when run locally, but very slowly
>when the client is remote (VPN). The remote connection is only using
>about 256Kbps. Is there a way to tell it to use more?

I would look for something in the configuration of the VPN.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew

bcr666 wrote:
> I have a JWS application that accesses EJBs on a Borland Deploymnet
> Platform. The application runs fine when run locally, but very slowly
> when the client is remote (VPN). The remote connection is only using
> about 256Kbps. Is there a way to tell it to use more?

AIUI, Java WebStart is nothing but a delivery mechanism for an application to reach the client machine. So another name for a "Java WebStart application" is a "Java application". Look to your application for bad network habits.

Many network-separated applications manage the "Great Divide" between nodesvery badly. Common mistakes include doing to little with each crossing, causing communication overhead to dominate bandwidth; initiating a send fromboth ends to each other, instead of having one end be requester-only (the client) and the other responder-only (the server); and using file I/O as intermediate steps.

There are network factors beyond the program's control, of course. The server connection just might be over a very thin pipe.

There's not enough information in your post for us to diagnose what your bottleneck is. Run some diagnostics, such as a bandwidth test (or at least aping) between the nodes involved. If your bandwidth is only 256 Kbps between the nodes, nothing is going to go much faster over that link. (You canplay games with compression to increase the perceived bandwidth, but that comes at a cost of effort and complexity.)

Give us more data to work with, and look into what your application is doing with its bandwidth.

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>AIUI, Java WebStart is nothing but a delivery mechanism for an application =
>to reach the client machine. So another name for a "Java WebStart applicat=
>ion" is a "Java application". Look to your application for bad network hab=
>its.

not quite. Java Web Start itself has some caching habits ,where it
downloads the *.jnlp file and possibly some jars that you want to be
aware of.

The Java Web Start App itself is often absolutely identical to the
standalone version.

Run the app standalone to prove to yourself the JWSness is irrelevant.

--

Sun/Java would win BIG if they included xml based RIA in Java WebStart (think Adobe Flex) kwiatekfamily@gmail.com Java 2 03-08-2008 06:47 AM
Utilitizing a remote Wireless Network and my own local network for max. bandwidth benn686@hotmail.com Computer Support 0 04-06-2007 10:16 PM
Java Webstart and JNI Henri Java 4 09-22-2003 07:08 PM
Java WebStart yuen Java 1 09-07-2003 02:06 PM
webstart and java.util.Preferences ? Carsten Zerbst Java 1 07-16-2003 03:02 PM

Advertisments