Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PCMCIA slot Laptop

PCMCIA slot Laptop

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

Looking for a laptop to run legacy software via serial port on PCMCIA
adapter.

Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
damaged or partially disabled, etc.

Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Enkidu

On 17/09/11 20:24, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Looking for a laptop to run legacy software via serial port on PCMCIA
> adapter.
>
> Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
> damaged or partially disabled, etc.
>
> Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

>Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

Gordon

On 2011-09-17, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking for a laptop to run legacy software via serial port on PCMCIA
> adapter.
>
> Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
> damaged or partially disabled, etc.
>
> Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

That request is so last decade. It is accepted that if one posts in a public
arena, then the replies come back to it. After all, people learn by reading
others problems and solutions.

David Empson

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

> There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

Other way around. A USB to serial adapter gives you a serial port on a
modern laptop. It plugs into a USB port on the laptop.

Not quite as good as a PCMCIA serial port (or modern equivalent, such as
ExpressCard), since there is added latency for the USB protocol, but
generally good enough for most serial devices.

--
David Empson

victor

On 18/09/2011 4:09 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>> Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

> There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

You could still consider trying a USB (on the laptop) to serial DB9 (on
the legacy equipment) adapter though.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>> Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

> There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some empathy
and see where that takes us....
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

>Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some empathy
>and see where that takes us....

The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.

There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
performing correctly and adequately.

Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
software to record and display engine performance data.

Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
adapters with the appropriate pin out details.

The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.

The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.

Tks for interest and suggestion.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>> Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some
>> empathy and see where that takes us....

> The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
> traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.
>
> There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
> performing correctly and adequately.
>
> Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
> dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
> software to record and display engine performance data.
>
> Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
> adapters with the appropriate pin out details.
>
> The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.
>
> The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
> usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.
>
> Tks for interest and suggestion.

Ok, I'm pleased that you got it going. I was going to offer you one of
these: http://www.langalaxy.com/showroom/15447.cfm if it's of any use to
you. I got a couple of them in a box-lot at auction and I'd heard that they
were highly regarded. Apparently the bee's knees of USB -> Serial port
devices (but that *was* a while ago...).

I've never had the need for one (so far) yet alone two so, if one would be
of any use to you in the future feel free to drop me a line at
shaun.at.pukekohe (with @gmail.com after it) and I'll drop one in the mail
to you when I'm next at the post shop with a spare couple of dollars. I
don't have any software for it but I seem to remember that last time I
plugged one into a Windows XP computer it found the drivers in it's own
driver library.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>>> Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some
>>> empathy and see where that takes us....

>> The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
>> traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.
>>
>> There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
>> performing correctly and adequately.
>>
>> Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
>> dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
>> software to record and display engine performance data.
>>
>> Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
>> adapters with the appropriate pin out details.
>>
>> The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.
>>
>> The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
>> usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.
>>
>> Tks for interest and suggestion.

> Ok, I'm pleased that you got it going. I was going to offer you one of
> these: http://www.langalaxy.com/showroom/15447.cfm if it's of any use
> to you. I got a couple of them in a box-lot at auction and I'd heard
> that they were highly regarded. Apparently the bee's knees of USB ->
> Serial port devices (but that *was* a while ago...).
>
> I've never had the need for one (so far) yet alone two so, if one
> would be of any use to you in the future feel free to drop me a line
> at shaun.at.pukekohe (with @gmail.com after it) and I'll drop one in
> the mail to you when I'm next at the post shop with a spare couple of
> dollars. I don't have any software for it but I seem to remember that
> last time I plugged one into a Windows XP computer it found the
> drivers in it's own driver library.
>
> Cheers,

I just re-read that, not very clear....

If you want one of those devices you can have one, gratis. Just email me an
address and I'll drop into the PostShop next time I'm in town.

Best,