Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: DVD RW drive

Re: DVD RW drive

Rob

On 15/09/2011 01:06, joevan wrote:
> The laptop I gave to my daughter is much like the one I use. Win 7,
> and now all of a sudden her DVD drive will not work with CD or dvd.
> Every check says the drive is working as it should but she can not
> see any info when she inserts a disc.
> It is a Toshiba Satellite. It would be nice to be able to help her
> with it. A google site would be helpful. I am just not sure yet what
> it needs as she will be bringing it to me some time tomorrow.

DVD drives do fail in this way sometimes. You could try cleaning
the head, but the usual solution is to replace the drive.
There are numerous sites out there with detailed instructions and
videos on how to do it for all Toshiba laptops. Google:
"Toshiba satellite (insert model here) replace DVD drive"
Replacement drives can be found on Ebay for around UK15. Again,
you need to specify the model number when searching.
--
Rob

joevan

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:55:46 +0100, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 15/09/2011 01:06, joevan wrote:
>> The laptop I gave to my daughter is much like the one I use. Win 7,
>> and now all of a sudden her DVD drive will not work with CD or dvd.
>> Every check says the drive is working as it should but she can not
>> see any info when she inserts a disc.
>> It is a Toshiba Satellite. It would be nice to be able to help her
>> with it. A google site would be helpful. I am just not sure yet what
>> it needs as she will be bringing it to me some time tomorrow.

>DVD drives do fail in this way sometimes. You could try cleaning
>the head, but the usual solution is to replace the drive.
>There are numerous sites out there with detailed instructions and
>videos on how to do it for all Toshiba laptops. Google:
>"Toshiba satellite (insert model here) replace DVD drive"
>Replacement drives can be found on Ebay for around UK15. Again,
>you need to specify the model number when searching.

Thanks, I will try cleaning it when my Daughter drops it off today on
the way to a flyers game I believe. I hope that is all it is or I will
get another drive and replace it.